jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (15 posts)

Can you yawn without opening your mouth?

1. rutley profile image75
    rutleyposted 5 years ago

Can you yawn without opening your mouth?

In a meeting for instance......you don't want anyone to notice.....but your lips are quivering.

2. heatherleex profile image60
    heatherleexposted 5 years ago

Yes, but it takes too much thought and doesn't feel as relaxing!  Also, I bet it looks funny--like I'm an elderly lady who just found out unhappy news, or ate a lemon.

3. hirundine profile image60
    hirundineposted 5 years ago

Uh-huh, without opening my lips. Yet my jaw and teeth, I cannot keep closed .... hey-ho?

1. rutley profile image75
      rutleyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

What?  I have to think about what that must look like...ha ha

4. Express10 profile image89
    Express10posted 5 years ago

You can do so, but as someone else said, it doesn't feel the same. You will still be left with a desire for a yawn.

5. hawaiianodysseus profile image82
    hawaiianodysseusposted 5 years ago

Yes, it definitely is possible because I've done it. But if someone had taken a  picture of me at the time, I would've looked like someone who had just had cayenne pepper poured down his nostrils.

6. Tonipet profile image83
    Tonipetposted 5 years ago

It is possible, but I agree that it doesn't feel as relaxing. I many times have tried doing it, in a meeting, yes, or when in a group where I'm supposed to compose myself :smile. But funny as the more I control it the more it feels like yawning.

7. securityproducts3 profile image40
    securityproducts3posted 5 years ago

Yes, but it's like getting the brand new music player you've always wanted a year after going deaf...It's just not the same.

8. MarleneB profile image97
    MarleneBposted 5 years ago

Yes. But, for me it is so uncomfortable and afterwards I wish I had just let out the full blown yawn and gotten it over with.

9. shara63 profile image69
    shara63posted 5 years ago

yes, but you have to turn your face from the viewers or you will be laughed upon, for your mock face of Mr. been.

10. kj force profile image72
    kj forceposted 5 years ago

The reason we yawn is because the body needs air...and yes you can stiffle a yawn..as I JUST did, while I was contemplating just the right words to type..there I go again..by the way you will breath through your nose when you do it....
    good question..enjoyed

11. tirelesstraveler profile image81
    tirelesstravelerposted 5 years ago

Yep, but nearly dislocated my jaw trying just now.  Its time for bed.

12. samnashy profile image81
    samnashyposted 5 years ago

Yes, but it's nowhere near as satisfying as yawning and sighing loudly at the same time, with arms bore head and having a good stretch too.

13. edhan profile image61
    edhanposted 5 years ago

Not an easy task. Normally I will simply cover my mouth with my hand when yawning.

14. honeybee2u profile image60
    honeybee2uposted 5 years ago

I sometimes yawn without opening my mouth and I do this by locking my lower lip between my teeth.  It's uncomfortable and you'll have a funny face doing it.