jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

What Are The Best Ways To Reduce The Risk Of Getting Alzheimer's?

1. PhoenixV profile image68
    PhoenixVposted 5 years ago

2. Alphadogg16 profile image93
    Alphadogg16posted 5 years ago

Stress management, stress wreaks havoc on your brain, eating  a lot of vegetables (greens), regular physical activity. Work your brain consistently, with logic or crossword puzzles and of course some things you cant control, but try to avoid head injuries.

3. Dahlia Flower profile image60
    Dahlia Flowerposted 5 years ago

One of the best ways is twofold: stay away from MSG and also from Asparatame.  Both of these substances, so often hidden in our foods and called other names, kill brain cells.

1. grumpiornot profile image71
      grumpiornotposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for info Dahlia - what sort of foods would we find Asparatame in? Is it a preservative? Will try stay clear of them...

4. Sam9999 profile image60
    Sam9999posted 5 years ago

Niacinamide (B3) has been shown to reduce and sometimes even eliminate Alzheimer's Disease. Apparently, all the B vitamin are good for preventing Alzheimer's.

5. mikejhca profile image93
    mikejhcaposted 5 years ago

Some I knew had Alzheimer's.  Exercising slowed it down a lot.  Eventually she stopped going for her daily bike ride and things got worse really fast after that.  I would recommend regular exercise, relaxation exercises, meditation and exercising your brain.  I don't know if it will reduce the risk of getting Alzheimer's but it would certainly slow it down.  Since I have a good chance of getting it based on my family I am going to do what I can to prevent it or slow it down.

A lot of older people don't exercise their body or their mind enough and stress is bad for your body and mind.

6. puregrace profile image68
    puregraceposted 5 years ago

Probably we should have started way back when we are young - eating right, getting enough physical exercise (via hard work) and plenty of mental exercise, making sure we get a good solid sleep at night, and stopping the worry about things and people we cannot change.

7. Christine Miranda profile image72
    Christine Mirandaposted 5 years ago

Never stop learning or living. Keep the brain active with daily "brain games" such as Sudoku, crosswords, even math problems will keep the circuits firing instead of burning out.

I also think a lot of the processed foods we eat have chemicals that accumulate in various organs. At some point there has to be side effects from them.

8. janshares profile image97
    jansharesposted 5 years ago

I recently learned that using turmeric will decrease probability of getting Alzheimer's. According to Dr. Joseph Mercola, the elderly in India have the lowest rate of Alzheimer's in the world where turmeric is a staple herb that is widely used. Look him up.

working