jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Would you consider bionic "upgrades" for yourself or your children?

1. buckleupdorothy profile image85
    buckleupdorothyposted 5 years ago

Would you consider bionic "upgrades" for yourself or your children?

There is an ongoing discussion about the ethics of scientific interventions like gene therapy or bionic limbs. What do you think? Under what circumstances would you think it was okay, and when do you think these interventions should be illegal?

2. Pavlo Badovskyy profile image80
    Pavlo Badovskyyposted 5 years ago

I agree to use it if it is vitally necessary but would not make it just for having fun.  Implanting a mini PC under your skin or bionic limbs are not necessary unless it is a question of living a full life.  It is like: would you like to have a titanium elements in your body? probably not. But would like to walk due to titanium bones implanted? - and the answer will be: Yes, I want it.

3. Richard Craig profile image76
    Richard Craigposted 5 years ago

Bionic limbs is a tricky thing.  Sure it can help a lot of people for different reasons but there are always others looking to exploit technology.  Imagine if, say, a terrorist (bare with me) got a bionic arm because he lost his original one in an explosion.  What's stopping him having some modifications done to his bionic arm and making him stronger and more dangerous?  I know that's quite an extreme example but I wouldn't put it past them.

4. profile image0
    danielabramposted 5 years ago

I would like a few for myself. Definitely would wait for the technology to become more advanced though.

5. mikejhca profile image92
    mikejhcaposted 5 years ago

I think people should be evolving.  It could really interfere with that process if scientists started altering people.  Also, consider how lazy a lot of people are.  If someone wants to increase their strength they should exercise.  If they want to control technology they can use their hands.

There needs to be a good reason for bionics and gene therapy.  It could be used to help people with disabilities.  I am sure the military would want to use it to enhance soldiers and some ordinary people would want to enhance themselves.  It should be illegal for people to compete in sports  with enhancements and for people to use their upgrades to spy on people.  It should also be illegal to have upgrades that make a person dangerous.

I would not consider bionic upgrades for myself but I would consider something that I could wear and take off.

6. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 5 years ago

A very difficult question this is! I disagree with all this great progress where science has got carried away and can clone, put chips in people and animals and other things we are not aware of. However, if my children were in need, I would take a long deep consideration of everything involved and then I'd reply.