jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (10 posts)

How do you keep from getting bored while running on a treadmill?

1. CWanamaker profile image96
    CWanamakerposted 5 years ago

How do you keep from getting bored while running on a treadmill?

2. LupitaRonquillo profile image79
    LupitaRonquilloposted 5 years ago

Classical music (less tiring and mentally draining than rap, hip hop or rock!) I like audio books too!

3. FSlovenec profile image61
    FSlovenecposted 5 years ago

I don't run on a treadmill anymore. I did not have a good answer to the question, so I run out doors all year around. San Francisco allows that luxury.

1. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I envy your luxury!

4. duffsmom profile image58
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

A good audio book is a wonderful way to make the time pass quickly.

5. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

By hanging a TV on the wall or plugging in my music player. They help me with motivation.

6. CandraEvans profile image59
    CandraEvansposted 5 years ago

I listen to podcasts.  My favorite one while running is "Stuff You Should Know".  It's entertaining and funny so it makes the miles fly by.

7. fitmom profile image84
    fitmomposted 5 years ago

Listening to music is a requirement for me while exercising. However, I also find that changing up the speed, elevation, hand position, and lifting light weights can keep the workout from getting too boring. It's also much better for the results to change things up. Best ~ fitmom

8. Rob Winters profile image85
    Rob Wintersposted 5 years ago

I find that the best way to avoid getting bored on a treadmill is to mix it up.e.g.rather than running a steady pace for 20 or 30 minutes i break in into interval type cycles.I might walk for 2 minutes and gradually increase the pace over 2 or 3 minutes to a fast jog, over the next 3 minutes i'll increase the incline every 20 to 30 seconds, then i'll drop the incline and increase the speed further, again every 20 seconds over the next 2 to 3 minutes (this is roughly a 10 minute cycle, but you could make it shorter or longer following the same principles)I then drop back and repeat the  cycle again & again etc. Usually 2 to 4 cycles.I may make each cycle slightly tougher than the one before.

I find this works really well and it really keeps boredom at bay because rather than just focussing on  the overall focus of just getting X minutes or X miles done you're kept busy focussing on all the changes in pace & incline etc.and not on the fact that you have to keep plodding along (keeps the mind busy and distracted on each individual phase).I find this much easier to get through and a lot less boring :-)

9. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 5 years ago

Changing up the settings once in a while helps.  My gym has the treadmills set up near the windows on the top floor, so I just observe what's happening down on the street.  Keeps me entertained.