Why do we get Hiccups? How to deal with them?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (36 posts)
  1. oxymoron profile image56
    oxymoronposted 14 years ago

Anyone?

1. Flavie Lolol profile image63
      Flavie Lololposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hold your breath for 1 minute or so, or better still, drink a glass of cold water.

oxymoronposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It worked for you?

2. profile image57
    fun2hubposted 14 years ago

I want to know this too... Where do we get sneeze from?

3. Carmen Borthwick profile image61
    Carmen Borthwickposted 14 years ago

distension or expansion of the stomach and movement of stomach acid into the esophagus

4. elayne001 profile image79
    elayne001posted 14 years ago

I usually get hiccups when I drink water the wrong way - I heard of one girl who had hiccups for several weeks straight and they determined it to be a psychological problem. There are several reasons why we get them. They can even signal kidney failure. Some days I might get them several times and then not have them for weeks. So are you having the hiccups?

Thanks for the informative responses.

No, just wanted to know.

5. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

This is gross, but I eat a level teaspoon of dry sugar (or a packet of it - the kind you get at a restaurant).  I stops them for me (and my kids) every time I get them.  There's something about the granules hitting the diaphragm that "snaps" it back to normal.

1. ediggity profile image60
      ediggityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This works like a charm, and it tastes goo also.

2. oxymoron profile image56

Sugar works, yes!

6. ddsurfsca profile image70
    ddsurfscaposted 14 years ago

Hiccups are the result of a spasm of your diaphram, how to get rid of them, not sure....

1. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yep this is the correct answer! hehehe

2. Stimp profile image59
      Stimpposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is absolutely correct.  I naturally breath through my diaphragm because I sing....so to get of them you need to stop the diaphragm from spasming....to do that....take huge breaths into your diaphragm to impede it from spasming, because it can't if its full of air. (you will know if you are breathing into your diaphragm IF your stomach moves outward when you breath in and not your chest).  Hold that breath as long as you can....then very very slowly release the breath.  THEN, you're not done yet, take a couple more very very deap diaphragm breaths again and slowly release them as well.  Another trick and I haven't a clue why this works but I used to also be a bartender and this is a trick we used....Bitters and Lime.  Take a piece of some sort of high acid content fruit (grapefruit, lime, lemon)...douse it in  bitters and suck on the fruit.  It tastes nasty but it works almost every time.

7. bojanglesk8 profile image59
    bojanglesk8posted 14 years ago

Hold your breath.

1. LOT2DO profile image41
      LOT2DOposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How long?!

1. Pearldiver profile image66
        Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

To Completely get rid of them... Hold Your Breath for 3hours, 14mins and 3seconds! smile

This method is guarranteed and also gets rid of any other worry that you may currently have, or may have in the future! yikes

1. LOT2DO profile image41
          LOT2DOposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Have you practically tried it yourself? lol

I'm a Pearldiver FGS... It's amazing how long we can hold our breath lol

8. profile image57
    mpchekuriposted 14 years ago

Many causes but in most cases by low sodium levels in body.

9. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

I usually can 'drink upside down' and that works. You do this by drinking from the far side of the cup instead of the near side or usual side. Its a bit messy and tricky but once you get the hang of it it seems to work most of the time smile

10. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

@PD - I'm awaiting with baited breat to see how long before someone asks what 'FGS' means smile

As for hiccups - no one really knows why we get them. And there's no point to them either. They don't make anything better or worse. They just happen.

They're a pointless little puzzle. A bit like wasps smile

11. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

"For Google's Sake" FD lol

1. frogdropping profile image78
      frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lolol PD - you totally spoiled my Sunday. You gave out free information ... tongue

Sorry About That FD... It was Monday here... A WORK DAY lol
        I should have realised that it was Your Sunday LiLy Pad Day..in your part of the big pond... Damn: You'll have to settle for DragonFlies smile

@ Lorlie....... That BS must Really 'Tick' her off lol

1. lorlie6 profile image73
          lorlie6posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, at least she's ladylike, I suppose!

2. lorlie6 profile image73
          lorlie6posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ha, ha, by the way...

12. lorlie6 profile image73
    lorlie6posted 14 years ago

I have a step-daughter whose doctor claims her hiccups are a form of Tourette's.

13. Sauvignon profile image59
    Sauvignonposted 14 years ago

My little girl got the hiccups really bad the other day; first in a long time.  For the first ten minutes or so she would hiccup then start giggling after each hiccup. Even I was laughing. Once it started winding up to fifteen minutes she didn't giggle so much and started pouting on verge of tears.  So I started a pillow fight and tickle war with her for a good five minutes or so and they were gone!

Some people's theory say the hiccups ended due to the heightened heart rate, others say it's the distraction that does it.  Either way- it worked for her!

14. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 14 years ago

My Sister gets them more since she had a stroke aged 28, (she is now 44), apparently this is not unusual.

I have been told it is a spasm of the diaphragm, and the best way to cure it (which has always worked for me and for friends of mine, is to lay on the floor on your back, legs together and arms outstretched (crucified position), and then hold your breath as long as you can manage. After this, stand up and your hiccups are gone. (I was given this tip by a singer, and as you probably know, the diaphragm is an important part of singing, so I guess he knew what he was talking about).

15. Divamommy profile image59
    Divamommyposted 14 years ago

I cant say that i know why we get hiccups. But i know that every since i was a Child we we got hiccups are parent would have us get a glass of water and sip it. With each sip they would tell up to hold are breath. it has worked for us....Its funny because after seeing this hub i contacted my siblings to ask what they do for there hiccups and they all said the same thing. I hope this helps.

16. HWP profile image60
    HWPposted 14 years ago

The only way I have ever found to get rid of my hiccups is to hold my breath, shut my eyes and stick my fingers in my ears - sensory deprivation I guess - works a treat though :-)

17. Healthyminds profile image59
    Healthymindsposted 14 years ago

i always try holding my breath for 30 seconds, it doesn't work !

1. Stimp profile image59
      Stimpposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You have to breath in through your diaphragm....not your lungs.  It'll work then.

18. profile image48
    Max Joeposted 14 years ago

Hiccups cant be cured in any other means. I feel we can cure them by just start thinking about something else other then the hiccups that should help. Rest others i am not sure. It works for me atleast..! Think about your gf lolz...

19. Chloe Comfort profile image60
    Chloe Comfortposted 14 years ago

Both my kids get the hiccups when they laugh - I mean really laugh. Once they start, the hiccups aren't far behind. Have no idea why.

I remember feeling my son hiccup all the time when I was pregnant. Must have been having a really good time - no wonder he was 5 days late.

I also recommend the sugar - works every time.

20. LOT2DO profile image41
    LOT2DOposted 14 years ago

Hiccups are gone when someone(or something) frightens, how it works?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)