Should contraception for women be sold over the counter?

1. alexandriaruthk profile image78
    alexandriaruthkposted 5 years ago

Should contraception for women be sold over the counter?

Due to increase in unwanted pregnancies, or it depends on the type of the contraception? What is your take on this issue?

2. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

I think they should be. Mainly because it is a hastle going to the doctors for it. And it definately depends on the type of contraception. Only birth control pills should be over the counter. The rest normally require installation by a doctor, or suffer dire hazards. My main reason for this belief is I know many women who need birth control pills for medical reasons, not to keep pregnancy at bay.

3. StandingJaguar profile image79
    StandingJaguarposted 5 years ago

Actually, no, I don't. But not for the typical moral reasons, I DO think contraceptions should be easily available and affordable for women, but I don't think it is wise for them to be OTC. Reason: These drugs have many (some serious) side effects, and dire consequences if not used correctly. It is naive to think that all women already know how to use them correctly... young women coming of age and other women who have never used them need to be instructed in their use by a doctor. I don't trust this responsibility falling on the pharmacists' shoulders. Also, some brands/types work better for certain conditions then others, so a doctor's opinion is once more a good choice.

Iburmaster is also right that some forms of birth control require "installation".