jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Should over the counter contraception be allowed for teen agers?

1. alexandriaruthk profile image77
    alexandriaruthkposted 5 years ago

Should over the counter contraception be allowed for teen agers?

or they need a prescription for it. There are emergency contraception available, and mostly women's contraceptives, but the question is, should these be available for the teen agers over the counter or they should need parental consent with medical prescription? What do you think, what is your idea about this issue?

2. bankscottage profile image96
    bankscottageposted 5 years ago

Contraception is already available over the counter, condoms.  There are plenty of other drugs available over the counter that teenagers can purchase without parental consent.
    Sex doesn't require parental consent, pregnancy doesn't require parental consent, I guess I don't see why contraception should require it.

3. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

I fully agree with bankscottage. Anyone should be able to purchase normal OTC type contraception. Pills that contain hormones though should be parental consent only since there is a lot more to a birth control pill than there is to a condom or cup.

4. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Teenagers? No. Emergency contraception is already available, though they probably don't know where they could get some. I think they should recieve some free handouts from their OB/GYN doctor. This way someone knows about their activities and can monitor what is going on. Too many parents would go insane if they knew and then family problems would erupt. Hastle.

5. jaydawg808 profile image90
    jaydawg808posted 5 years ago

The best form of contraception is not having sex at all.  Abstaining from sex will not get someone pregnant.  If this cannot be done, condoms are an alternative.  There will be parents who will have their daughters on birth control pills because it's a "precautionary" thing that will not get them pregnant. 

This is a hard question.  If over the counter pills were available, will this cause teens to think having casual sex is okay?  Will this be an encouragement? 

In this day, teens are having sex at a much earlier age compared to when I was in middle and high school.  And this worries me.  It's partly to blame with the media and body image.  And this is sad.