jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How soon can you do exercise after giving birth?

1. alexandriaruthk profile image71
    alexandriaruthkposted 5 years ago

How soon can you do exercise after giving birth?

Is two months too soon, and what type of exercise are the best for post natal moms?

2. april holland profile image85
    april hollandposted 5 years ago

My OBGYN told me once the mother heals from birth (6-8) weeks, then the woman can start slow exercises and build up to strength training, aerobic, walking, etc.  It is a bit confusing, but I already have two children and one on the way, and I exercise every day now and and hoping to continue to do so even days after delivery.  But it depends on the mother and the signals her body is giving her after birth.

3. Sharkye11 profile image95
    Sharkye11posted 5 years ago

I think it would depend greatly on how the birth went. If it is a natural delivery with no complications or stitches then very gentle exercises could be started as soon as mom felt up to it. Stitches take longer to heal, and the 6-8 weeks is recommended. C-section births take longer for recovery, but the actual time depends on the mother.

I was told to start the day of delivery doing kegel exercises. From there it was recommended to do no more activity than required to care for the baby. At 4-6 weeks they said I could start a light exercise routine and work up to my regular activity level. I made great friends with the yoga ball during that time. It made doing ab exercises a lot easier.

4. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 5 years ago

after 2 months should be ok if you r using natural birth. The sooner you exercise, helps yr body get back to shape.

5. Onlinemidwife profile image83
    Onlinemidwifeposted 5 years ago

Two months is fine, and it also depends on how you have recovered from childbirth. Swimming is the ideal exercise as it works all of your body and you can build up the intensity as little or as more as you like depending on you. Yoga is another good exercise regime to do as this can be quite a gentle on your body without being too intense. For any postnatal mum there are certain postnatal exercises you can do once you are discharged from hospital but this depends on what delivery you have had and is very gentle, avoiding the stomach muscles too much. Hopefully will be publishing a hub soon on this.
    I hope this helps you!

working