jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

How often did people bathe in the 1500s?

1. scoop profile image84
    scoopposted 5 years ago

How often did people bathe in the 1500s?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

One bath when your born and one when you died was all that was considered necessary.  And yes, the stench must have been God-Awful! But you also have to remember that they let their animal sleep in the house (sheep, goats and cows, not just dogs and cats). It got the animals out of the cold (and was additional heat for the family) and kept them safe form robbers. Also they did their "business" in a pot then just threw it out into the street. So you would have raw sewage in the streets. Being sanitary was not of great importance.

1. rutley profile image71
      rutleyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

J....you're just to doggone smart!...................................................................

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you rutley.

3. Goody5 profile image75
    Goody5posted 5 years ago

I'm sorry, but I can't answer this question because I don't know anyone who is still alive from the 1500's. However I'll get back to you on this when I finish building my time machine and go back in time to find out.

4. safiq ali patel profile image73
    safiq ali patelposted 5 years ago

I could never say for certain. In the local town hall there is a painting of a woman throwing bath water onto the streets. So back then you had the stench of people that bathed at birth and at death and now-where in between. And then the stench of foul waters and sewage drains making their way down the street. How awful that stench would have been.

And yes there are cities around the world where things are no different today.

working