How does it feel to get older?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (29 posts)
  1. peeples profile image91
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

How does it feel to get older?

If I fear anything, it's getting older. For those of you who are already 40 + or even 60 + how is it vs. when you were in your 20's.

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

Hi peeples,

As a 43 year old I can tell you if you keep your health, it is absolutely true you are only as old as you feel. I look back to my twenties and really don't feel any difference. Your health is the most important thing. So, take care of yourself sweetie. smile

peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Glad you haven't begun to feel old yet JT! Thanks for your comment!

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are very welcome peeples!!

3. Peanutritious profile image61
      Peanutritiousposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is so true! I was 40 in August and can hardly believe it. I feel exactly the same as I did in my 20's. If anything, it's better because you know what you want in life more. I wouldn't want to be 18 again unless I knew what I knew now.

3. beverleejb profile image59
    beverleejbposted 11 years ago

I never even gave it a thought till I starting getting pain after
    I had a car accident 2003 and did get hurt.
    Went to a physical therapist and she forced my leg to move
    And the rest is history
    In my 20s I was pain free and could do most anything
    Yoga, etc run up and down stairs without holding the banister.
    Sit on the floor in Indian style.
    Not anymore.sad
    We never ever think that things will change, but unfortunately  it does
    So my advice to anyone young.
    Enjoy your youth!

4. Efficient Admin profile image85
    Efficient Adminposted 11 years ago

I have more aches and pains than before and not as much energy as I did in my 20s and 30s. For example I could go all weekend from one event to another and not think much of it.  Now it's like gee these events are taking my quiet time away from me.

On the plus side, the older you get the more comfortable you are in your own skin and don't care as much what others think.  If you take care of yourself healthwise you should be okay. It's not so bad getting older.

I like the getting more comfortable with yourself part! Thanks!

5. Encouragement profile image60
    Encouragementposted 11 years ago

Being older causes me to reflect more on what I have done and what I still want to do, while realizing that 'today is the first day of my life'.  Regardless of what I did or did not accomplish, I can never go back.....regardless of my age. 

That keeps me going...realizing that NOW is the best (or, perhaps, more realistically stated, 'the second best') time to start

6. Joseph041167 profile image61
    Joseph041167posted 11 years ago

I absolutely agree with JThomp42. I am 45. I am still running circles around high schoolers and college age men. i do have age related minor arthritus, but you learn how to work with it, manage it. Our recuperation time is greater also. all of my athletic scores keep on improving. i am in the best shape of my life. i am going through a spurt where i am training 7 days per week which i would not recommend for anyone realistically. i used to train 5 days per week, more realistic. sometimes i go on a lay off. i will ttyl, gotta go.

My arthritis is what scares me Joseph. My knees and hips ache sometimes now. I fear it will get worse as I age, ruining my ability to enjoy life. I hope I'm not one of those people! Thanks for answering!

2. fpherj48 profile image61
      fpherj48posted 11 years agoin reply to this

STOP now.  Do not fret and worry....it's the worst thing you can do.  START now, to take every proactive measure you know of to combat your arthritis issue.  There's SO much you can do to halt the progression and keep yourself healthy & agile.  D

7. janshares profile image90
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

I find getting older wonderful. I remember a feeling of liberation and freedom when I turned forty some years ago. Everything gets better as you get older so don't be afraid. It also helps to have a spiritual foundation upon which you can lay fears and uncertainties. The wisdom and experience that comes with age is not overstated; it is very true and raises your confidence level to heights you never would expect. Did I say EVERYTHING gets better with age? ;-)  Waaayyy better than in my twenties.

8. profile image0
    jonnycomelatelyposted 11 years ago

At around 40 I got to hating my body.  It was beginning to get decidedly ugly!   And I was wondering what I had managed to accomplish in my life.... not much !
    At 50, I was at such a low ebb, an not being exactly "old," nor fitting in with the "younger" people in my life.   A bit like a teenager of 17-18 feels.... no longer a child, but not yet an adult and not accepted in either group.
    Since retirement at 65 (6+ yrs ago) I have become much happier with my noticeably older body, my forgetfulness, my older man attitudes and sometimes being respected as an "elder." 
    So, peeples, I say give yourself a warm hug, a big slap on the back (don't slip a disc doing this!) and start enjoying the journey.   You will be like vintage wine.... better with age!

9. dghbrh profile image80
    dghbrhposted 11 years ago

I am 36 and though not in  40 group but I think it is all about your perspective about age factor. When people are young they are very beautiful and its always very easy to maintain a good figure and the natural radiance. For ladies the real challenge comes after 30s and after one becomes a mother. Then with age its a really challenge to maintain a good figure to feel confident and happy in life. Its a continuous fight to feel good and satisfied in life. With age the most rewarding package of gift one gets is experience and true wisdom.  So you must enjoy being more matured ( i will prefer maturity to use instead of the word 'age') and more beautiful and radiant with time so far. Enjoy your tine dear....
    thanks

10. Alex-Zander profile image60
    Alex-Zanderposted 11 years ago

Feels fantastic. I am 37 and began my anti-aging therapy when i was 26, it was the best thing i ever did for my health.

I feel 27, i look 28, no pain in joints, no coffee needed, have energy like a kid.
    The older i get the more excitement i see in life and enjoy it too.

Aging is not what it was 40 years ago. You can chose to age and have arthritis, pain and headache or you can fight aging and slow down that process, so you can enjoy life to its fullest.

I agree with JThomp42, it is all about your health. Even in the Bible it said to take care the temple of the soul.

If arthritis is your weakness, take antioxidant and glucosamine with COX2 inhibitor, it will take the pain away and rebuild a joint. If it is way too late for that, have hyaluronic acid injected inside a joint with PRP and you will be healed. The magic of alternative medicine!!!

1. beverleejb profile image59
      beverleejbposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hello Alex, thanks for the suggestions
      I have never had any injections
      So when I see my Doc I will show him these suggestions and see what he says.!
      if he will agree.

2. Alex-Zander profile image60
      Alex-Zanderposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good luck!!!

11. fpherj48 profile image61
    fpherj48posted 11 years ago

peeples ....Gee, girl...I just wrote a hub on "Aging."   I am chronologically over-qualified to respond to your question!! LOL
    You know, women never want to divulge their age or their weight, right?  Well, I have never had an issue with stating my REAL age.  In April I will be 65.  I'm a "former" single, working Mom of 4 sons, in July, will have one DOZEN grandchildren and I even have a great-grand daughter....nearly 2 yrs old......I worked for 40+ years, sometimes 2 full time jobs.....continued in education every chance I got. Raised my boys on a prayer and a song and massive amounts of LOVE.  What a ride!  PHEW!
    Your question asks "how it feels to get older".......Until we can slow down a bit, take a good look around, have time to accept that we are in fact, human and not robots.....I can honestly say, "I didn't know I was getting older."   I was living, loving, working, struggling, surviving, creating and coping....to mention a few.
    Then one day, probably on a birthday, I thought, "Holy Crap, I'm old."  That damned AARP stuff starts arriving in the mail.  I was indignant...and threw the first 20 or so, into the trash.  AARP??!!   Are  you kidding me?  WHO the hell is this for?
    Do not fear my beautiful child.  It "feels" as you allow it to feel.  There are pros and cons...ups and downs....joys & heartaches...healthy times and sick times....a few changes in body, mind, heart & attitude.  It's still one day at a time.  Life is still a precious gift.
    Now, see?  Does it sound much different to you than being "young?"   Relax.  I have a feeling you'll be just fine, even at 90!!.....Peace & Blessings.

1. Sunshine625 profile image84
      Sunshine625posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Effer you will always be a spring chickie! wink

2. janshares profile image90
      jansharesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You rock!

3. fpherj48 profile image61
      fpherj48posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sunshine....maybe, I'm just glad my eggs are all empty shells now.
      Janshares......Yes!  I LOVE Rock 'n Roll!!!  LOL!

4. Debby Bruck profile image67
      Debby Bruckposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Love your spirit, Paula.

12. Sunshine625 profile image84
    Sunshine625posted 11 years ago

Besides the snap, crackle and pop that our bodies begin to make, I'm still a firm believer that age is just a number. I'm 49.5 years old and I run circles my adult daughters, their husbands and my grandkids. That right there is awesome enough for me! Bring on the big 5-0.

13. Ronna Pennington profile image78
    Ronna Penningtonposted 11 years ago

Stay fit! I allowed myself to get out of shape because it was always so easy to drop back down to whatever size I wanted...until about 35. I'm in my mid-40s now and mentally just the same as in my 20s. The only difference is that I think things through better and with broader insight now.

I see older members of my family (ages 70+) who struggle with memory loss. Those who were mostly loaners seem to have it worse than those who enjoyed being a people person. From them, I've decided to get out and enjoy people more!

14. profile image0
    Moeskyposted 11 years ago

I remember saying the following to my father when I was a kid:: "It must be boring when you're grown up, you can't play cowboys and indians anymore". His reply was: "Oh there's other things that are just as much fun".
    And indeed this is true of all ages. The one problem with being in your twenties is that of being conditioned to think of  fifty (so far away, but then also so near) as being old. But these days it's not - there are always different games, different experiences, different values and different perceptions Growing older is a natural state, and offers experiences so profound that you can't experience them when you're younger. There's always something to look forward to if you embrace the experience and stop calling it "getting old".
    I'm in my fifties, with a son just turned twenty. My life offers as much to discover and enjoy as his. I'm enjoying this age like you probably can't imagine - and I'm looking forward to my sixties, my seventies, eighties and beyond...
    Enjoy your twenties with full abandon - when you reach thirty you'll be ready for it, and you won't look back I promise.

15. Thewriterlives27 profile image60
    Thewriterlives27posted 11 years ago

It feels great to get older means you are more experienced and more knowledge and so much to look forward to.

16. profile image0
    advicewithspiceposted 11 years ago

This is an interesting question.  I am wondering exactly how old you are while you are asking this question.  First, I think aging is different for everyone.  There are some things that will happen to most anyone in the aging process regardless of how they try to prevent it.  For instance needing bifocals can happen to most anyone.  There is really not much one can do if your sight gets worse, even if you wear your glasses as you should.  It is simply just a fact of life.  I am often told I don't look my age, which I really don't.  Most people think I am at least 10 years younger than I actually am.  I think part of it is hereditary and the other part is attitude.  I have never worried much about getting older because my age does not define who I am as a person.  I strive to take care of myself.  I have stopped eating pork, try not to eat beef, and really love my vegetables these days.  I try to get exercise, though I don't do that daily.  To answer your question, even though my sight is different that when I was in my 20's I don't feel much different.  I am appreciative of the years gone by because i can look back and see how much I've grown, and I like the person I am.  I am wondering what it is you are exactly afraid of.  Most people worry about wrinkles, etc., which I think is so silly, because as long as you have your health, that is what really matters. And just so you know, 40 isn't old - its better. smile

17. connorj profile image69
    connorjposted 11 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7520578_f260.jpg

I am not sure I can anwser this correctly; however, here is my attempt. It feels most wonderful yet it is full of imperfections. I skate significantly slower, my shots are not harder, and my falls are filled with a few unsolicited pains that were not apparent in my younger years. Now please keep in mind that I am not very old. I just turned 26 (for the 2nd time) and my mental age is still significantly behind my chronological years. Perhaps this is why I don't fear getting old, my chronological age is 26 times 2; yet my mental age is still significantly younger perhaps just 26 times 1 or less?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)