Are we future problems medicating children with antipsychotics?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)
  1. NGRIA Bassett profile image61
    NGRIA Bassettposted 14 years ago

Some of these agents have not been tested for use on children. What potential problems may be caused?

1. MikeNV profile image67
      MikeNVposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Most drugs are not "tested" long term.  The typical trial is a few weeks to months.  All drugs have side effects.

To say something that alters brain chemistry is "safe" for adults but not for children is a paradoxical statement. While a drug might be more tolerated by an adult that doesn't make it safe.

You take drugs... any drug with risk. Society thinks that you can just go to a doctor when you have a problem with your health and they can magically fix it.

All a Doctor does is cut you or drug you.  The fixing is up to the body.  And outside of antibiotics few drugs do anything to cure a disease... they just treat symptoms.

If you want to be healthy you prevent disease through diet and behaviors.

Medicating children is a very dangerous practice.

Pharmaceutical profits are off the charts as Television ads continue to pitch their "cures".

Can't get it up?  Take a drug.
      Feeling depressed?  Take a drug? Drug doesn't work - try a different drug.
      Going too frequently - yep take yet another drug.

Our society is heading down a path where Corporate Pharmaceutical interests will have seniors on multiple drugs just for profit.

And it's easier for a Doctor to write a script than to figure out what is wrong.  And patients are to blame as well, because they get mad when a Doctor doesn't write them a script.

1. Colebabie profile image59
        Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thats not true at all.
        The three phases of clinical trials takes about 6 years.

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i would consider every available option before even considering putting my child on drugs. sad

bad, bad idea.

1. earnestshub profile image82
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree. One of my grandchildren could be diagnosed as having problems, but he is just very bright and easily bored. Now he is 6, the benefits of coping with him are paying off big time. He is becoming a well rounded little guy who is confident.
        Don't crush kids, cherish them. Much less need of drugs when we listen to kids. smile

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

There is already a problem with adult medications, which haven't been solved. I'm afraid the FDA isn't doing such a good job, like it's suppose. It's sticks it's nose, where it doesn't belong, but won't be tougher on the manufacturers who produce the products.

So, who is the FDA suppose to be working for? Citizens or Business?

There are a great many problem in America and many of them need to be addressed. Yet, no one is willing to do anything about, so the politicians, wtf- the citizens don't care, so let's do whatever we want. And, you know what- they do exactly that.

Who is kidding who? I say, "Enough is enough!"

Drug manufacturers continue to discredit the herbal community, as liars and dishonest, even when the herbal supplement can cure, in some cases. TRUTH- not fiction.

Herbal supplementals can work wonders, but people don't believe it, and the drug manufacturers get to keep their high priced drugs, so they can charge HUGE amounts to the insurance company, probably well above reasonable rates. You want to know what's killing the insurance companies- it's the costs of the doctors and all other expenses, which rake them over the coals. Plus, in America, the homelessness which is averaging about 13% isn't helping either, because they walk into a hospital, get treated and never pay for their services. And, hospitals can not ever turn away a patient because of their lack of ability to pay. Which is a very high moral ethic to undertake. It's ONE of the things that defines true American unity.

Unfortunately, that message is getting lost, I afraid.

But, I think you raise a valid point. big_smile

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

I just read this in the NYTimes, a study was done about the percentage of children receiving medicaid being prescribed anti-psychotic drugs. there is a significant disparity between middle-income children and medicaid recipients taking drugs.

very interesting topic, would love to hear some intelligent discussion.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/12/healt … r=1&hp

are there any doctors or counselors here with an opinion?
    I don't have time now to discuss, but I have certainly seen these children in the classroom and the effect on them, even as young as 4 yrs. one child was being given so many different drugs at the age of 5, he was dangerous, a threat to himself and others. the doctor had diagnosed him with adhd and bi-polar, even though he (dr) said a child can't really be diagnosed with bi-polar until they're older.

4. CodyPhrenism profile image55
    CodyPhrenismposted 14 years ago

Definitely weight gain, heh

5. EFPotter profile image61
    EFPotterposted 14 years ago

Antipsychotics by nature alter brain chemistry. A human's brain isn't fully developed until the twenties, so to be altering it with chemicals when it's so young is completely risky. I'm eighteen. I'm a legal adult. I can drive, join the army, buy smokes, own property, do things without permission, and handle all of my own money. My brain isn't done growing and working itself out. I'm currently taking something as simple as a medicine for chronic migraines, and there are mild side effects that I can't imagine children handling.

Medicines are drugs. They're chemicals that change things in your body. You wouldn't let your kid huff or drink--you should think long and hard and weight the benefits and risks of putting a youngling on an antipsychotic drug.

1. nightnday profile image61
      nightndayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

People make many valid points, but try reading what professionals in the field have to say  on sites like:

1. NCBI and the National Institute of Health:
      "Evaluating Drug Safety in Children & Adolescents with Bipolar Disorder"
      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/
      2. American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry

Going for natural remedies in combination with therapy and nutrition can do wonders.  But if your child is having acute psychosis (hallucinations, breaks with realities, disorganized thought that impairs) these things may just not be enough.

Everyone is different and timing is everything.  During acute psychosis, life may be endangered. Holistic remedies usually take time to take effect and trying them for instance, when your kid is suicidal...? A crisis may call for meds.   

As a bipolar, even when I combine 4 days yoga, therapy 2wice a mo., diet, jogging, supplements (choline, omega, st johns etc) and acupuncture, I land in an episode.  I'd like to go guru, but meds (the lowest dose possible) for me, are a must.  Despite their drawbacks, I chose them, because w/ me, they lead to stability.  Obviously, there is a lot more at play when it comes to kids.

Not enough studies have been conducted to a) diagnose children clearly as bipolars, in a way that lead  Drs to a consensus or b) determine the long-term effects of drugs on kids.  Talk to various MDs & weigh cost/benefits wisely, taking into consideration the severity of your child's state.

Note:   The more times a person has episodes, the less likely a long-term recovery is.  Once you've had 1, you always run the risk of having them.

I am sorry that you have to face this choice and wish you well.

1. profile image0
        StormRyderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very good points you made!
        Why do we see so many people on these med's?..Not only young people but all people. In college we had classes with a guy that suffered from  what his doctors called mild schizophrenia and we were discussing his condition in class with him one day and he asked the room how many of them were on medication. Out of a room of 38-40 people nearly half said they took some kind of mood altering drug ranging from prozac to haldol. I was shocked by the number. Our professor (who as maybe in his late 50's), said that he couldn't remember anyone being on any kind of med's when he was in college and has seen a dramatic increase of use in the students he has taught over the past ten years... So where is this stemming from?? Is it all the additives we put in food? Is it the recreational drugs our parents took when young?..Vaccinations we received as kids?..
        What is the root of all this??

6. zaureny profile image60
    zaurenyposted 14 years ago

Who knows these days. Everything we eat, drink, bathe in, breathe, and touch seems to have some form of carcinogen, or makes us bat sht crazy. No wonder kids are killing kids, they're coo coo for coco puffs!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)