Why is there a huge increase in drug use?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Patkay profile image89
    Patkayposted 11 years ago

Every where you turn, people are into drugs, all kinds of drugs that are affecting them negatively, some to the extent of being dispatched to the next world. What is happening to the society? Will everyone be turned to a drug addict in the near future? Will we end up with substance dependent zombies?

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I don't think there has been any sudden recent increase.

Patkayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

In Africa there is. From illicit brews to hard drugs. For instance, there are those who must consume these illicit brews everyday. Without it, they are like vehicles without petrol/gasoline.

psycheskinner, I forgot to mention that we are even making lethal concotions made up of Anti retroviral drugs mixed up with other substances. You can search for 'sisters of death' on you tube.

3. Shanna11 profile image76
    Shanna11posted 11 years ago

Like psyche said, I don't think there's any sudden huge increase, but I think culture is changing in a way that makes drug use more accepted and commonplace. I think also (and this is just my non-fact-based opinion) that people are becoming more and more desensitized, disillusioned and bored with things. They need to go to greater lengths to feel new levels of excitement or the next high, which leads more people to experiment with drugs. It's the next level in our Prozac-nation.

Overseas, I'm led to think of those in Middle Eastern countries who turn to opiates to kind of numb their poverty and lack of hope.

Shanna11, when they get bored with things, why don't they try out something that will not harm them? Those who take them because they are poor, even when they somber up, they will still be poor.

1. Shanna11 profile image76
        Shanna11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Because people like an element of danger and the unknown. I'm really just thinking of all the people I went to high school who fit this profile exactly. They were spoilt kids who'd seen and done all that they thought mattered. Life was boring, so why not add an element of danger?

As for those in poverty who take drugs-- of course they will still be poor, so they take more drugs! There's a large number of poor people who are addicted for this reason. NatGeo did an article on it once...

I agree with you. And if something is not done, we will have a major crisis in the near future.

2. profile image52
      Ungracefuljulesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The mid east, supplies usa... They really do not have an opioid problem.

1. Shanna11 profile image76
        Shanna11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps not. I was generalizing an old NatGeo article, so I don't have any real sources.

4. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 11 years ago

Let's look at two 'categories' of drug takers.   First there are those who, like most people, try a drug, be it alcohol, cigarettes - the ones generally approved by our Western society (so they can be taxed to the hilt by governments) - or the ones that are not, like Indian Hemp, Cocaine, Heroin etc.   All are generally tried not only out of curiosity but by compliance to 'peer pressure.'   No one wants to 'wimp out.'    Some people are, of course, more easily hooked than others.   Once hooked, it isn't always easy to ween off.   All sorts of rationalizaitons as to "why I continue' come into it.   

The second type of drug takers are those who get hooked on doctors's prescription drugs (whether legally subscribed or not)   As some of the biggest companies in the world are behind these drugs there is enormous pressure on medicos, pharmacists, and all manner of marketer to push these.   Oh, and generally, the poor old patient who goes along to a doctor  is 'advised and prescribed' one of these drug-company concoctions.   

It seems that today's society is persuaded over and over that the slightest physical or mental upset can be dealt with by simply 'taking a pill.'   Unlike earlier generations who would 'tough it out' until Nature did the healing naturally, just 'pop a pill,' that'll fix it.   The instant fix.

So why more drug taking?   Probably the major aspect:  A lot of people are making a lot of money out of it!    The choice is yours as to being a part of it.

Tusitala Tom, well spoken, you have hit the nail on the head. "A lot of people are making a lot of money out of it!" And my view is some money hungry rich individuals are exploiting the poor. This is because these drugs end up with the poor guys,

5. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 11 years ago

There have been a number of studies which (can't be bothered looking for them now, it's nearly midnight here) which link substance misuse to unemployment/poverty/homelessness. When social/economic conditions stagnate, rates of misuse accelerate. It's the same old, same old.

Yes, it true and worrying. The future looks blink especially if you look at the after effects of these substance misuse. It sad to see how most of the youth have been affected, up to the point of not being able to perform their 'night' duties.

6. Jewels profile image82
    Jewelsposted 11 years ago

I agree with what Tom has said above re pharmaceutical drugs.  It's this that I find is the most disturbing and becoming a common problem in our society.  Taking a pill to fix ones ailments is now the norm and it should not be.  There are now more deaths from medication than cures. 

Pill taking is now part of western culture which is exactly what the pharmaceutical companies molded society into.  Problem is, their seems to be less wellness than ever before so it makes you wonder what benefits there are in 'pills for pain?'

Time to buck the system if you're embroiled in it.

Jewels, more deaths from medication than cures and still someone will make money out of that situation. I think it is all about making money.

7. jacharless profile image75
    jacharlessposted 11 years ago

"The study estimating that 100,000 Americans die each year from their prescriptions looked only at deaths from known side effects. That is, those deaths didn’t happen because the doctor made a mistake and prescribed the wrong drug, or the pharmacist made a mistake in filling the prescription, or the patient accidentally took too much. Unfortunately, thousands of patients die from such mistakes too, but this study looked only at deaths where our present medical system wouldn’t fault anyone. Tens of thousands of people are dying every year from drugs they took just as the doctor directed. This shows you how dangerous medications are."

Start Them Young:

"In recent years, sales of drugs for children have been the industry’s fastest growing business. Doctors now prescribe pills to children for all kinds of conditions — from high cholesterol to anxiety. The market for ADHD drugs has long been a big opportunity for the industry. More recently, the companies have had their sales reps urge doctors to prescribe antidepressants, anti-psychotics and other psychiatric meds to children. The result: our kids take more of those medicines than children in other countries. For example, a study last year found that American children take three times more attention deficit medications and antidepressants than children in Europe. "
    **anti-psychotics and other psychiatric meds are barbituate. Most provided are short term or long term. Once taken, the bodies immune system changes, mind is altered and thus recreation drugs pail in comparison, yet are used to create the same effect.

Alternet

Rx Numbers for 2011:

3,764,698,318 [3.8 Billion] prescriptions written in the US alone in 2011.
    Estimated income for the top 10 health-care providers and pharma companies -Johnson & Johnson being #1 exceeded $227,551,806,436 [$228 Billion] in the US alone in 2011.

Double that number for 2012...

State Health Facts

jacharless, with all this where are heading? For sure, we are turning to drug dependant zombies

8. kathleenkat profile image84
    kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

Prescription drugs are very much becoming a 'thing.'

I had whiplash last year, and I went to see a doctor for it. That doctor didn't even examine me; they prescribed me Vicodin and muscle relaxers. That covered up the pain, and helped with the stiffness.

Three months later, I go in for X-rays, and find that because of that, my neck healed incorrectly. I have been receiving chiropractic therapy for 10 months, now, because the doctor treated the symptom, not the cause. I am much better, now, but it still isn't fully back to normal. My chiropractor says I probably never will be, but it sure is nice to be able to turn my head and look to the right, now, rather than move my entire torso to do so. Makes driving easier. But, I suppose my being on those prescriptions got some pharmacy some $$$, as well as a guarantee to the doctor that I would be returning to the doctor's office (probably for more drugs, because once I ran out of relaxers, the pain and stiffness returned).

That was a little tangent. But that's probably one of the reasons why drugs have become more of a problem; as we develop new ones, more and more are being prescribed. People have a pill for everything. This is the life of a drug: First, brand name. Then, generic name. Then, over the counter. I don't know the full details of it, but things are available over the counter that can get you "high" or make you black out.

As for other kinds of drugs... Marijuana, etc. I think we are actually using those less. People aren't going crazy with opium and acid like they did in the 60s. People are a lot more mellow about that stuff, I think. At least, I haven't met that many people that do those kind of drugs, aside from marijuana. I think marijuana is becoming more accepted; you see references to it on TV shows all the time (How I Met Your Mother and their "sandwiches" haha).

kathleenkat, sad to hear of Doctors treating symptoms and not the real cause. I think many people all over the world are suffering because of this. Some will even turn you into a guinea pig, testing the best drug that will work for you, (hope there ar no doctors in this forum), until you get healed or become a drug dependant.

In our case, it is unfortunate these other hard drugs are finding market. This is all money issue, some guys are making money selling them to poor people who have no tommorow.

9. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

All of the above.
    Really good answers.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)