How can we differentiate between self- esteem and ego?

1. ahmed.b profile image76
    ahmed.bposted 5 years ago

How can we differentiate between self- esteem and ego?

2. Tusitala Tom profile image64
    Tusitala Tomposted 5 years ago

Is there any difference?   Our self esteem is based on our self-image, how we perceive ourselves to be.   It can be an image we approve of, or one we don't like.   Generally, it is a mixture of both: we are proud of some aspects of our thinking and behaviour and perhaps anxious or even ashamed of others.

The ego or self-image is a 'thing of the mind.'   It is made up.  We have come to believe that we are our mind when in actuality our mind is but a tool of the real us.  This mind of ours has a will of its own and sometime this will can exert an extremely strong influence upon us.   Try giving up smoking if you're a heavy smoker and you will immediately experience the 'mind's will' in oppostion to YOU, the centre of consciousness which is you which also has a will.

The REAL you is the unchangeable self-awareness that has been taking in the outside world through your eyes since you were an infant.  You knew yourself as a person then as you do now.  This has not changed.  You are the LIFE in the body.   You have a body and have a mind, but they are your to use.  You could say they are your tools to experience life.

If you wish to learn more then take a a practice of serious meditation.  A few years at it and all of this will become a lot clearer.

3. Danwe profile image75
    Danweposted 5 years ago

That's a good question! Made me start thinking smile This is how I would explain this to a three year old. Self-esteem is your image of yourself. How you see yourself, your strengths and weaknesses. It's like a magic mirror.

Ego means "I" and nowadays, I think, is often interchanged with self-esteem.  Think about it as a mirror once again, this time however a polished, shining mirror. It will always show you looking good and try to find mistakes in others to protect you emotionally.  Even if subconsciously you know the truth ego will present it in your favor.

working