jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Investing in your health today or paying for your illness tomorrow?

1. X-Con profile image77
    X-Conposted 5 years ago

Investing in your health today or paying for your illness tomorrow?

Do you believe in the conept of investing in your health today to avoid paying for your illness tomorrow by making positive choices in what you buy and eat and in leading an active life? Or do you believe that it doesn't matter what you eat and how you live your life because we all gotta die somehow?

Please share your outlook on this matter and give some examples of what you have done to improve your life. Or, if you haven't done anything, please justify your reasons as to why not. Health and wellness is a subject that intrigues me. Thank you.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7642072_f260.jpg

2. Neinahpets profile image85
    Neinahpetsposted 5 years ago

If you can feasibly afford it, investing in it now is the best because medical bills cost more.  I personally have lost 70lbs in my quest for a better life.  I make sure to get physical activity in everyday as well as lower my sodium content in the foods I eat, as well as investing in eating fresh foods instead of boxed foods.  Processed foods, chips, sweets, etc are out.  Vegetables, fruits and whole wheat things instead. 

Doctor bills cost way more than buying fresh produce... it comes down to how much is your life worth?

1. visionandfocus profile image71
      visionandfocusposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations for taking charge of your health! I suggest reading the book Wheat Belly by Dr William Davis. He busts the myth that wholewheat (or any wheat) products are good for us and need to be a staple in our diet. You'll be amazed. Good luck!

2. Neinahpets profile image85
      Neinahpetsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Oh I consume that because I'm diabetic... as far as I've been told, white flour turns to sugar in our blood and whole wheat doesn't.  However, I didn't know that whole wheat being better for you was a myth.  Interesting, I'll have to check that out.

3. X-Con profile image77
      X-Conposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations on your achievements!

4. Neinahpets profile image85
      Neinahpetsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you very much X-Con!

3. Eunice Stuhlhofer profile image60
    Eunice Stuhlhoferposted 5 years ago

What we eat and how we treat our bodies has an effect. But apart from eating healthy, good sleep is important for the body to function properly. The service that we give to our bodies determines the quality of performance. In addition, the body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, and it's good stewardship to care for it so that we can do the work assigned to us by our God here on earth.

Thanks for asking this question

4. ChitrangadaSharan profile image54
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 5 years ago

As they say, 'Health is Wealth.' Obviously taking care of your health is the best way, we can avoid our future health issues and the expansive medical bills.  No one gets any younger day by day, that is true.
    So much is written each day about how we can take care of our health. Eat sensibly, sleep well, avoid stress, have regular health check ups, to say in short.
    I do try to follow all that as much as is possible for me. Important fact is that I am aware and conscious of it. So if for some reason or the other I slack for a day or two I again remind myself that I have to take care of my health for myself and for my dear ones.

5. visionandfocus profile image71
    visionandfocusposted 5 years ago

Excellent question! So many people claim they cannot afford to eat healthy, that a lifestyle that includes regular exercise is beyond their means. I consider it extremely short-sighted to poison our bodies with junk food and then complain when it's time to pay premium on hospital bills. Taking care of our bodies should be a no-brainer. It's the only one we got. Health=wealth. If you don't have health, you have nothing. Oh wait, that's not entirely true. You do have pain and suffering. It's a trade-off, for sure. Eat junk now, work at a job you hate just because you know you'll need the health insurance one day....or invest in your health now and thumb your noses at the medical establishment. As a sane person, I'm happy to take the latter option.

6. peachpurple profile image83
    peachpurpleposted 5 years ago

yes, i believe in"what you eat is what you get" concept. I try to eat less meat, more vege to keep myself slim and healthy. So far so good and happy to say that i now weigh 45kg at age 40+.

1. X-Con profile image77
      X-Conposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Way to go!

working