When did overeating become a disease/sickness?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (17 posts)
  1. John Sarkis profile image80
    John Sarkisposted 11 years ago

When did overeating become a disease/sickness?

...centuries ago, people's main preoccupation was loosing appetite.  In part, because it typically meant that you could be suffering from consumption (TB), or, perhaps a venereal disease of some sort or other?  All said, no one in those days associated gluttony (using this term) with a sickness.  When did this change?

2. Perspycacious profile image62
    Perspycaciousposted 11 years ago

Overeating became a disease when it reached the level of obesity and morphed into heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and cancer.

John Sarkisposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well said.  I was seeing documentary stating people in starving countries (Mexico, India) are now overweight, because now eat, - not food, but food products - p.chips, candy bars, soda, etc.

3. tnvrstar profile image65
    tnvrstarposted 11 years ago

I do not know the definition of overeating sickness because all of my family members are skinny. I know it's an awkward answer but that's how I feel. I know many people who are eating a lot but fit and living healthy. On the other hand I know people who are always dieting to lose weight but can't do so.

4. daughterson profile image71
    daughtersonposted 11 years ago

Pioneers ate huge breakfasts and dinners but they worked their asses off.  Today people eat unhealthy food full of fat, sugar and carbohyrades and no physical exercise.  Centuries ago the food was pure, no additives and not a lot of sugar.  Food and excercise was the secret then and it is the  problem now.  In the past you at least had to walk.  Hard work and a good meal.  Today a good meal and sitting at a desk all day.  We are no longer physical.  We eat and eat but we don't walk and we don't chop wood or work in the fields.

In those days, there were no flavor enhacements - only sugar, salt, and they also used pork fat, because it makes food taste really good.

5. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

Anything a human being does can be abused, drinking, eating, video games. If the person has an addictive personality, and turns to food for comfort or something along those lines, it can in time become an addiction.

It is very hard for people who are not troubled by a particular addiction to understand how someone can become addicted:  they tend to think the person is lazy or weak.

John Sarkisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you.  I think it's interesting how 200 years ago people ate large quantities of food and no one associated that with "eating disorders," but  in fact with good health; today, you're a glutton.

6. Gabriel Wilson profile image92
    Gabriel Wilsonposted 11 years ago

Over eating became a illness (obesity) when under activity became the norm. Centuries ago people ate in abundance when food was abundant (after a kill or harvest) because on like the modern man they couldn't pop out to the nearest supermarket when the larder went dry.
    Of course all our labour saving devices weren't invented either; hence Rome wasn't built in a day. Travel was mainly by foot unless you were wealthy enough to own a horse; and horse riding burns a few calories. People walked and people worked using their own brut strength and they sure weren't eating Mcdonalds!
    Today we are slaves of modern technology; many of us don't even eat fresh foods and must of us don't walk the lenght of ourselves.
    In answer to your question; in a nut shell, when technology evolved to do the hard work and humans decided to sit on the fence, food became a luxury and overeating became an illness... too much of anything will always be bad for you; eventually...

7. Express10 profile image84
    Express10posted 11 years ago

I agree with Perspycacious. When the undeniable links between excess weight and various diseases including diabetes, arthritis, cancer, etc. became clear, the medical community classified overeating as a disease. If you really watch people around you eat you may see some startling differences in eating behaviors. In addition overeating is a disease that is common here in the west but it is gaining steam as our chain restaurants and large portion sizes move east.

8. Dont Taze Me Bro profile image61
    Dont Taze Me Broposted 11 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7677375_f260.jpg

"When did overeating become a disease/sickness?" I know, isn't that just stupid! Disease! REALLY? Yea, that's what liberals want you to believe so they can control you and what you eat. What they won't tell you (but everybody knows) is people have metal fillings in their teeth. Their refrigerator magnets keep pulling them into the kitchen. That's why it's difficult for people to lose weight!

1. profile image0
      SaritaJBonitaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol... I hope that was a joke.  I will use that excuse from now on, thanks!

2. John Sarkis profile image80

lol  Not exactly, because nothing tastes like warm apple pie and you need oven for that... lol

9. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 11 years ago

over eating is a disease. It will result to obesity and various illness occur in long term run. Weight increase and normal growth is affected too.

10. Borsia profile image39
    Borsiaposted 11 years ago

As many others have said in the past the detrimental affects of obesity weren't known.
    But if you look back in time you will also see that what we perceive as beauty has also changed.
    200 years ago being fat was a sign of wealth and prosperity. Look at adverts from those times and you won't see a thin man or woman anywhere.
    Loo at statistics as well and you will see that people were much shorter on average and of course life spans were much shorter.

11. Get Thin for Good profile image67
    Get Thin for Goodposted 11 years ago

I think people have already answered your question. However, you may be interested to know that the first case of obesity was reported in the 1800's.

And when all's said and done, gluttony is a sin (and I can say so because I have been a food addict/overeater).

The thing is that overeating/food addiction is on the same level as drug and alcohol addiction, but may actually be more devastating to give up since people can stop using substances, but a food addict cannot stop eating food.

12. Angela Kane profile image59
    Angela Kaneposted 11 years ago

I think overeating became a disease when it started to make people fat and unhealthy and cause early deaths. I don't the act of overeating is a disease, but I do think it causes a lot of diseases.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)