jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What causes foot Bunions, and how to prevent them from happening?

1. K9keystrokes profile image90
    K9keystrokesposted 6 years ago

What causes foot Bunions, and how to prevent them from happening?

2. debralstokesmoore profile image58
    debralstokesmooreposted 6 years ago

it is genetic - the bone bone that goes from the back of the big toe to the ankle is longer than it should be.  This realignment of the joint location changes the distribution of weight to this joint where the bunion grows.  The weight is increased, causing the bone to grow large into a deformity.  If shoes are not designed properly, this condition can be exacerbated, causing the bunion to grow larger quicker.

This is my understanding of what my surgeon explained to me.

I'm not sure if there is a fool proof way to prevent them.  My surgeon noted that there is something one can put on the toe at night to push it back in alignment, but with really severe deformities, this may not help much.  Avoiding shoes with high heels probably helps, but I'm guessing.  My grandmother and both of her sisters had this condition, back before the days of high heeled shoes (they were born around 1880) - or at least I don't they wore them.  They had to cut holes in the sides of their shoes to relieve the pain from their bunions.

Hope that helps

3. whizzer profile image76
    whizzerposted 6 years ago

Pressure on the joint is what causes bunions, especially from tight fitting, narrow shoes. The bunion is nauture's way of protecting the area. Womens' shoes are more likely to be narrow in that region, that is why you see more women than men with bunions.

4. carmensanchez519 profile image55
    carmensanchez519posted 5 years ago

Thanks for all of these comments. I recently had bunion surgery crystal lake and I did nothing to cause my bunion. It sounds like there is not much to prevent them. Thanks again. http://www.footfirstpodiatrycl.com/crys … tment.html