How has walking a spiritual path enriched your life?

1. phoenixelliot profile image61
    phoenixelliotposted 5 years ago

How has walking a spiritual path enriched your life?

Walking a spiritual path can be very rewarding. How has it enriched your life?

2. MDavisatTIERS profile image85
    MDavisatTIERSposted 4 years ago

Almost 25 years ago, I was forced into substance abuse treatment by my employer, with all of the resentment, anger, fear and guilt that typically accompany a situation like that.  Through a recovery supportive group and meetings with other individuals, I began learning about spiritual principles. 

Also at that time, I was fortunate to meet a 74 year old Native American with 34 years in recovery.  He introduced me to many spiritual concepts and encouraged me to open a house of healing for other addicted women.  It was called North House, 1990-2011, named for the direction of rest, renewal and cleansing. 

By trying to be compassionate, encouraging and hopeful to others, I gained those things in return.  A spiritual path for me just boils down to some simple, fundamental concepts: like attracts like; give and ye shall receive, and as above, so below. 

Since I will be on some path as long as I am on the planet, I can actively choose to follow a spiritual path, or veer off and operate from self-defeating behaviors. In my case, I believe that straying from principles for too long might put me at risk for a relapse, so making the effort to stay grounded in 17 Spiritual Principles is actually self-serving as well.  I do not want to sacrifice my almost 25 years in long term recovery, so I remain committed to the same concepts even though the house has closed.