How do you get rid of/cope with dry mouth caused by medication you have to take?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Laura Schneider profile image84
    Laura Schneiderposted 11 years ago

How do you get rid of/cope with dry mouth caused by medication you have to take?

2. Theophanes profile image90
    Theophanesposted 10 years ago

"Take small sips of water throughout the entire day." That's what my doctors and dentists have told me but in truth there's not a lot you can do. Because of my lack of saliva my teeth don't have the protection they need and just a few years on a very common med ALL my teeth, save for one, had cavities. There was no other reason for this - I was brushing fine and my diet was not sugary, nor had anything else changed since I had healthy teeth... it was just a lack of spit. Can you believe that? Crazy. Have fun with the water. I dread to know what my teeth would look like if I was a soda drinker. neutral  Good luck!

Laura Schneiderposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Theophanes! I chew gum (like a kid--really professional, oh well) all the time whenever I'm awake. Expensive, but works better than water, which I tried first. ALL my teeth had to be crowned, can you believe that? Ouch! Crazy! Good luck! :-|

3. MargaritaEden profile image70
    MargaritaEdenposted 10 years ago

Water and gum or candy with xylitol, also use xylitol toothpaste.

Excellent advice! Thanks, MargaritaEden! I just checked, and the Trident(R) gum I've been chewing does contain xylitol (and no sugar). (I'll have to check my toothpaste...)

4. profile image0
    lisasuniquevoiceposted 10 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7851302_f260.jpg

Laura,

I'm a voice over artist and what I use to combat dry mouth is a product I got online called "Mouth Cote".It works great. You just spray it and it takes away dry mouth I also take small sips of water during my recording sessions.
    Lisa

Thanks, Lisa! I've never heard of this product before. I'll ask at the pharmacy if they carry it. Cheers!

5. Cas Merchant profile image59
    Cas Merchantposted 10 years ago

I always keep a pack of gum called Biotene handy. It works great, and also a bottle of water or sports drink to sip on.

Thanks, Cas Merchant! I'll look for Biotene gum, also. (Why did my doctors never tell me these things existed??) I have a very ugly but very leak-proof bottle of water with me at all times (Tupperware).

6. profile image0
    Queenlushlipsposted 10 years ago

Gatorade is good, but try also eating fresh grapes or cantaloupe

1. profile image0
      lisasuniquevoiceposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Queenlushlips,
      I drink Gatorade all of the time. You're right it does take away dry mouth. I'm going to try the grapes and cantaloupe too.
      Lisa

2. Laura Schneider profile image84

Thanks, Queenlushlips! I'll try Gatorade along with what everyone else has suggested. I'm allergic to fruit, unfortunately, but hopefully it will help someone else with this problem!

3. profile image0
      Queenlushlipsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Your Welcome Ms. Laura Schneider!

7. profile image51
    jellohelloposted 10 years ago

All you can do is sip, sip, sip, and sip some more.  Look on the bright side, at least your pretty hair isn't falling out! Some medications even cite possible death as a side effect.  Could be worse.

Could ALWAYS be worse, true. ALL my teeth had to be crowned ($$,$$$) simultaneously because of just sipping. My dry throat closes and I often choke, especially in my sleep. Agreed, the other side-effects are much worse; so maybe this one is fixable.

2. profile image51
      jellohelloposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wow, that is some intense dry mouth! Hope you can resolve it.  Maybe your doctor can put you on another medication.

3. Laura Schneider profile image84

Lots of good suggestions here, thanks to everyone for commenting! I'll follow up with each suggestion and hopefully one or more (or several at once) will help!

8. Jennifer Bart profile image61
    Jennifer Bartposted 10 years ago

I suffered from dry mouth due to medication there is a line of products out there called Biotine they have a mouth wash, a tooth paste and an oral spray. It helped me a lot! You can get it at any drug store without a prescription in the toothpaste section. Hope this helps!

Thanks, Jennifer! I'll give them a try for sure!

9. Faceless39 profile image93
    Faceless39posted 10 years ago

I'm a dental hygienist.  Here's my hub on this topic:

http://faceless39.hubpages.com/hub/Dry- … lationship

Cool! I'm off to read it now. Thanks for writing about it!

10. Rosie writes profile image85
    Rosie writesposted 10 years ago

Sleep with a warm mist vaporizer running all night.  You will breathe in the moist air all night and it will provide you with relief throughout most of the following day.

1. profile image0
      Queenlushlipsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Now this is a good recommendation, yes!

11. profile image54
    ericberchposted 10 years ago

"Take small sips of water throughout the entire day."  - yeap this works...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)