jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why don’t French people smile to strangers?

1. ngureco profile image82
    ngurecoposted 5 years ago

Why don’t French people smile to strangers?

2. Jlbowden profile image92
    Jlbowdenposted 5 years ago

I don't exactly know the correct reason behind this.  But it is my understanding that the French for one, do not like Americans very much.  I've heard this from a few people. That may be part of the reason, especially if you're an American stranger why they may not respond with a smile.  I personally took 4 years of the French language in school and enjoyed the language very much and from the Frenchmen that I did meet, they seemed decent enough people. .  Auvoire mon amie!

Jacques

3. mbwalz profile image89
    mbwalzposted 5 years ago

I think like in every culture,  it depends on where you are at the time. Big city, the boulangerie during rush hour, a big tourist site? Or while meandering through a small viliage, asking questions about their beautiful town, commenting on how attractive their window display of chocolates for Easter?  I find that when I am friendly, respectful, and engage them, most French fall all over themselves to be friendly. if they don't, I may have encountered them on a bad day or they are just not happy people. I don't often get strangers smiling at me while I walk down my city street (ewww, what do they want from me ...) or when at the grocery store check out line. And that's in my little American city.

4. jrueff profile image70
    jrueffposted 5 years ago

I personally think that they tend to be a bit stuck up. France has disliked America for a long time now, though I don't understand why exactly - it makes me feel like they think they're better somehow, more classy, refined, or something along those lines.

I'm not a big fan of this kind of behavior, but oh well, I'm over it.

working