jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

Why are we nicer to strangers than our own family?

1. Eliminate Cancer profile image59
    Eliminate Cancerposted 6 years ago

Why are we nicer to strangers than our own family?

2. pstraubie48 profile image87
    pstraubie48posted 6 years ago

some are...that is true and unfortunate...
    the 'why' of it is as complex as many of life's 'in your face' questions that we ponder...
    one reason my be that strangers are not part of our struggle...they are not there on a day-to-day basis as we muddle through life's trials...
    they are  not part of our 'problems' either..
    they are only in our midst for a moment and then gone...it is unnecessary for them to work with us through anything...as is the case with our family...
    they are not privy to our shortcomings either....they see only the BEST of who we are...we can be a totally other person to strangers...
    i hope i am not wearing a mask to the world  but i may be and not know it...

3. Hui (蕙) profile image80
    Hui (蕙)posted 6 years ago

Because home is, by definition, a place where people don't need to disguise, and familily is supposed to be listen to and tolerate each other. People know that, maybe unconciously. However, this toleration often goes abnormal, so families often appear mean to each other, which is sad.

4. shampa sadhya profile image81
    shampa sadhyaposted 6 years ago

This is an excellent question.

We believe in making an image of ourselves in front of others. Well, making an image is not the last word but it has to be maintained and it becomes easier only for a short span. Thus, we are nicer to strangers just because they cannot evaluate us within a short period of time but how can we maintain a fake image within the family through out our life. So we drop the idea of making an image and fail to become nice to our family.

5. RealHousewife profile image75
    RealHousewifeposted 6 years ago

I noticed that too - I think that we are creatures of habit and we treat strangers with an arm length of respect that we are too impatient for when we are comfortable with others.  We are suposed to understand our loved one's tendencies and know they do not mean to be short, rude, or whatever.  I have said to my husband on occasions - "maybe you should just go back to pretending like you don't know me"! Guys are usually so much nicer during the dating stage!!

6. xethonxq profile image63
    xethonxqposted 6 years ago

I completely think this is true. We are way too close to our family members...they know our quirks and vice versa. They can bother us more and we know what pisses them off. We don't want to give off the wrong impression to strangers so we are naturally nicer.

7. danajconnelly profile image69
    danajconnellyposted 6 years ago

because a stranger hasn't hurt us yet...

8. C.V.Rajan profile image77
    C.V.Rajanposted 6 years ago

Because you can undress freely in your bathroom, but not in the road!

9. profile image50
    Inder Bamberposted 6 years ago

Instinct! If the door of a house is open, street dog tries to sneek in while the pet dog tries to flee out.

10. nightwork4 profile image59
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

"were" not. maybe you are but please don't speak for everyone. i treat my family with love and respect, i treat strangers as strangers.

working