jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (10 posts)

Have you ever had a reaction to the contrast dye used in a CT scan?

1. Gcrhoads64 profile image96
    Gcrhoads64posted 4 years ago

Have you ever had a reaction to the contrast dye used in a CT scan?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

Yes. My kidneys almost shut down. As a matter of fact, they thought they had. So, be very careful of this dye. It is harder on your body than you are told.

3. DrMark1961 profile image100
    DrMark1961posted 4 years ago

Yes. They ask "are you allergic?" but if you have never had a CAT scan, how would you know? I had an anaphylactic reaction and developed bronchitis and secondary lung damage.
    The bronchitis recurs every winter, so I would avoid the procedure if at all possible.

4. wqaindia profile image80
    wqaindiaposted 4 years ago

Backache and Bronchitis alongwith acute chest congestion in the winter are common side effects. The list of side effects is very big as per literature available with IV contrast dye used in CT Scan or MRI. If it is planned try to get in summer days as bronchitis severe back ache in the winter in intolerable.

5. lifetips123 profile image60
    lifetips123posted 4 years ago

Basically, the contrast dye used in iodine based one.  Sometimes, there may be adverse effect from the radiocontrasts as these substances improve the visibility of internal organs allowing healthcare  practitioners see the abnormal growths.

Also, the contrast  dye can cause symptoms that can range from mild to life threatening.  Sometimes anaphylaxis-like reaction and kidney damage will occur.

Basically,  the allergic reactions that involve the immune system is called anaphylaxis reactions.  Immune system is not involved if anaphylaxis reactions occur in response to contrast dye. So it is not considered true anaphylaxis. Also, the kidney damage may occur as the kidneys must break down the contrast dye.

6. lupine profile image72
    lupineposted 4 years ago

I had this dye used on me twice for CT scans, and I didn't have any bad reactions to it. Only when it's first given, made my body feel very warm for several seconds, then went away.

7. whonunuwho profile image78
    whonunuwhoposted 4 years ago

Because I had a bad reaction in an MR! in the use of iodine in the contrast dye, I bottomed out in my blood pressure. Later i was administered Benedryl before the process to prevent reactions and doses of Prednisone, prior to the test, which is one treatment to prevent allergic reactions. I have had several CT scans and MRI tests since the first one and have had no bad results since.

8. Gcrhoads64 profile image96

Thank you all for your feedback. You have all given me valuable insight into contrast. smile

1. lifetips123 profile image60
      lifetips123posted 4 years agoin reply to this

With pleasure brother

9. Gcrhoads64 profile image96

CT contrast, also known as contrast dye,  is used to better visualize blood vessels and some internal organs. How does it work? Are there any side effects and/or  risks? read more