jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

What is your experience with hand drums or drumming circles?

1. Emanate Presence profile image77
    Emanate Presenceposted 4 years ago

What is your experience with hand drums or drumming circles?

This is in connection with a video I made today, a two-minute meditation on the rhythm of life. Creating the video brought back my experience with a darbuka, a hand drum made in Turkey which came into my life some years ago.

Then, while still in the process of making the video, I came across a drumming circle in the park and recalled other drumming circles I have participated in. So, I am interested to hear from any who would like to share their experiences.

2. Born2care2001 profile image72
    Born2care2001posted 4 years ago

In Asheville, NC, the town where I live, there is a drum circle in the square downtown every Friday night and it has continued every Friday since we've been here, almost 3 years ago now. I'm not sure how long it has been going on before that but, it is very diverse and a lot of fun.
    It is a main attraction for tourists and locals alike. It may not be exactly like the one you are referring to but usually, there are anywhere from 30 to 80 drummers and everyone is encouraged to participate.
    The emotion, dance and revelry surrounding the weekly event is moving...and can get deeply spiritual as well as almost erotic at times.
    Those who wish to continue can take drumming lessons from local talent and then participate even further. Oh, and children L O V E it. They often bring Hula Hoops and dance to the music. It's a very festive weekly event!
    Hope this helps in some way Emanate Presence. Feel free to join us when you can!
    Bruce

Emanate Presenceposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Great response. This brings some tug on me to be in Asheville - for the drumming circle, beautiful mountains around, and to meet you in person. We know that Germany is not our last stop and have considered Asheville. Or India. Well, we will see!

3. Dr. Haddox profile image79
    Dr. Haddoxposted 4 years ago

While living in Japan, at the base of Mt. Fuji, for 4 year, I had the great experience of participating in different festivals, for example "Harvest Festival," etc.
    Japanese people love to drum. The mountain is located a distance from the great Japanese cities, but it is not exactly a rural setting. The location of the mountain is more suburban, for lack of a better word. However, sometimes the niche in which the mountain is located feels like a rural setting because there are rice fields all around the location of the mountain. Also, the Shinto and Buddhism orientation that 99% of the Japanese people practice, as a way of life, not to mention the rich history of drumming, causes the people to have a high regard for drumming.
    Some of my most spiritual experiences, while living in Japan, involved attending the festivals and experiencing drumming and other aspects of live within a colorful Asian culture.
    Regards, Dr. Haddox

Emanate Presenceposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Another marvelous answer. It opened my eyes to some new ideas and considerations and brought a feeling of the life you speak of and your experience in it. Thanks much for sharing.

working