jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Which is the better sleep aid: Diphenhydramine HCl or Doxylamine Succinate?

1. stanwshura profile image73
    stanwshuraposted 4 years ago

Which is the better sleep aid:  Diphenhydramine HCl or Doxylamine Succinate?

Do they compare?  Work differently?  Is one superior to the other?

2. Laceylinks profile image77
    Laceylinksposted 4 years ago

Doxylamine Succinate is considered to be a more potent sleep aid than Diphenhydramine HCl but the hangover effect is more pronounced and also both drugs have potentially dangerous side effects. If you don't generally take sleep aids it's a good idea to try some natural ones initially like melatonin and see if that works before you reach for the drugs. Melatonin is naturally produced by your body and is actually an antioxidant as well, making it a healthy option.

1. Insane Mundane profile image60
      Insane Mundaneposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I'd prefer the non-drug version as well, although I usually just take the zombie approach.  Speaking of herbs, I've heard that Magnolia Bark Extract works as a sleep aid, for some folks...

3. Hariom Singhal profile image61
    Hariom Singhalposted 4 years ago

A biochem salt kali phosh 6x is good natural remedies for sleep.It have no side effect.

4. RealityTalk profile image60
    RealityTalkposted 4 years ago

None of the above.  Lack of sleep and a good book (or possibly a bad book you force yourself to read) is the best sleep aid.

5. dorothy0328 profile image74
    dorothy0328posted 4 years ago

I take a sleep aid every evening and the one I currently use contains Diphenhydramine. I have had no side affects to this medication and I have found it to work very well for me. As a matter of a fact I only take one rather then the recommended dosage of two. I fall asleep quickly and about 95% of the time I stay asleep through the night.

working