jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

What would you do if you are unable to sleep at night?

1. Good Guy profile image87
    Good Guyposted 7 years ago

What would you do if you are unable to sleep at night?

2. profile image0
    writingconsultantposted 7 years ago

It depends on the cause of your insomnia.  Do you have any ailments such as arthritis? Are you on any medications that could keep you awake at night? 

If there are no extenuating circumstances, melatonin is the natural chemical our bodies produce to make us sleepy and this is sold over the counter and is very safe if you are uncomfortable asking your physician for something such as Lunesta.  A lot of people are uncomfortable taking prescribed sleep aids because some of them are addictive and then your body ends up relying on it in order to go to sleep. 

There are also of course stress related issues that could cause insomnia.  If you have something troubling you it may be beneficial to talk with someone to get it off your chest.

Lastly but not least, what comes to my mind, is eating before bedtime.  You don't want to load up with a lot of sugar before bed.  Another natural remedy is sleepytime tea.. it works great!

Good luck to you

3. Apostle Jack profile image59
    Apostle Jackposted 7 years ago

Watch TV...read a book...put in some DVDS,GET ON THE INTERNET,PLAY GAMES ON IT,OR ANSWER QUESTIONS
    ON HUBPAGES AND OTHER SITES.PAINT A PICTURE,
    WRITE A POEM,OR READ THE BIBLE.
    One or the other always do the trick.

4. kitchenwinebar profile image55
    kitchenwinebarposted 7 years ago

drink a small glass of wine wink before you go to sleep, it has been show to better your health

5. msann1949 profile image60
    msann1949posted 7 years ago

My first thoughts would be it's a good time to have a conversation with my Lord Jesus. I do that and then I can go to sleep.

6. Good Guy profile image87
    Good Guyposted 7 years ago

Thanks for all your answers.  Actually I don't have this problem; only lately I was awakened by the pain of my left arm due to my recent tennis elbow problem.

7. aliceinpearlland profile image57
    aliceinpearllandposted 7 years ago

Lie down straight. close eyes. Dont move and Just keep on saying OM..... Om....Om...

8. elsa88 profile image56
    elsa88posted 7 years ago

Do something boring and you hate big_smile

If you hate reading, read a thick book.

9. lain profile image59
    lainposted 7 years ago

Melatonin or valerian root usually help me.

I've written more in this hub: http://hubpages.com/hub/insomnia-natura … -treatment

10. DerekWrite profile image60
    DerekWriteposted 7 years ago

Best bet is to get up and read a book with a dim light, that always works for me.  Stay away from monitors or too much artificial light.  Also nothing too stimulating on the brain although this usually doesn't affect me when even reading science books.

working