jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Have you ever seen someone pick up an already used cigarette on the ground and s

1. zeke2100 profile image78
    zeke2100posted 4 years ago

Have you ever seen someone pick up an already used cigarette on the ground and start smoking on it?

Do you think that diseases can be passed from person to person by smoking used cigarettes?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8187098_f260.jpg

2. Ericdierker profile image58
    Ericdierkerposted 4 years ago

Many many times. Dumpster diving feeds people. Ash trays provide a smoke. In the USA we are so wasteful whole subcultures survive of our throw aways.

Ones garbage is another man's treasure.

We should reframe our consciousness to think of the waste as being what is disgusting and not the consumption of it.

If a wealthy man smokes half of his cigarrette and puts in out. Half will go into landfill or runoff water. If a poor man smokes the remainder nothing gets placed in our environment.

Who is the better man?

3. FatFreddysCat profile image100
    FatFreddysCatposted 4 years ago

Oh yeah, I used to see homeless guys doing that in the Staten Island Ferry terminal and in subway stations years 'n' years ago. Even though smoking is now banned in most public places in New York I'm sure it still goes on elsewhere.

4. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

As Eric and Freddy said, I've seen homeless people do it. I've also seen people who need their nicotine fix and are out of smokes, grab one someone threw in the ashtray. Can diseases be spread this way? Of course. First you have the saliva on the filter which can carry diseases. You also have wherever the person touched with their fingers. Cold and flu are spread through someone coughing or sneezing on their hand and then shaking yours, so why not through contact with the butt?

5. MaggieMaye profile image73
    MaggieMayeposted 4 years ago

Yes, my oldest son does this.  He is heavily addicted to cigarettes, but he is usually very low on funds, so he does this a lot.  First he asks people he sees smoking if they can spare a cigarette.  But if the answer is no, than he will forage around on the street for thrown away "butts."  I do believe that this is unsanitary, but my son insists that the fact that the cigarette has already been burned on one end "kills" all of the germs!

working