jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

Does an ex-smoker ever stop desiring the occasional cigarette?

1. MarieLB profile image82
    MarieLBposted 24 months ago

Does an ex-smoker ever stop desiring the occasional cigarette?

Do you know an ex smoker who does not still yearn for a cigarette from time to time?
    Do you know how a successful ex smoker has managed to stick to the goal [of no smoking] ?

2. Austinstar profile image87
    Austinstarposted 24 months ago

It took me years to finally quit smoking. And yes, I did crave cigarettes for years afterward. But I have finally reached the point where I do not crave them at all now.
    I would say that it took about five years of non-smoking before I got to that point.
    You have to stay away from smokers. Every time they light up, it will trigger a reflex desire to smoke.
    But do stick with it. I promise, it gets easier and easier.

MarieLBposted 24 months agoin reply to this

Same here, Austinstar.  Tried and failed many times, yet now, I am free of them.  That is the way I see it.  I see that you too have made it past the point of being 'hooked'.  Well done.

2. Venkatachari M profile image54
      Venkatachari Mposted 24 months agoin reply to this

I appreciate both of you. It seems both of you are much bold and determined.

3. Diana Lee profile image82
    Diana Leeposted 24 months ago

I smoked for well over thirty years. I quit September 18, 2012. I was stupid not to have done it years ago. I still get a craving now and then, but it last mere minutes and I am stronger than that urge. I will not pick up this ugly habit again.

MarieLBposted 24 months agoin reply to this

Another brave lady who beat the demon smokes.  You did it before I did.  Frankly I do not have dates but I am glad I do not have to find space in my bag for the bulky pack etc. . .Well done Diana.  You too are in the club of the Free.

2. Venkatachari M profile image54
      Venkatachari Mposted 24 months agoin reply to this

Thank you Diana, for your brave decision.

3. MarieLB profile image82
      MarieLBposted 23 months agoin reply to this

My apologies to Venkatachari M.  I called you Diana, and that was because I had just typed an answer to her.  Hope you were not upset over it.  I tend to make these errors.

4. MarieLB profile image82
    MarieLBposted 22 months ago

Thank you Austinastar.  That makes two of us- at least- who have won the contest.  I am so happy to know that I am no longer required to ensure I have enough ciggies and to carry a packet of same, and a working lighter.  Free of all that.  Free of the frustration when I cannot light up.  Do you feel that way too?   

Diana L Pierce:  Believe me, you will forget about it.  I cannot even remember the date, or even the year now. 

I think it is a matter of what you tell yourself about it.  What I told myself was "I may or may not make it.   No matter, I shall try. If I don't get there, I shall try again, and again, until I WIN."  That is how I saw it.  A fight to the death beatween me and the cigarette.  I won.  Ha!Ha!!  He laughs best who laughs last!!

Closed to reply

working