How many hours of sleep can you get by with at night?

1. jaydawg808 profile image90
    jaydawg808posted 4 years ago

How many hours of sleep can you get by with at night?

I can get by with at least 5 hours....but I'm still going to get sleepy by 9:30am....

2. janiek13 profile image79
    janiek13posted 4 years ago

Conventional thinking is that the average healthy adult needs around 8 hours sleep per night. In reality, people need the amount of sleep that they can function best at. Some people function great with only 5 hours of sleep per night while others may need 10 or more. In addition, sleep needs can vary throughout a single persons lifetime for various reasons including, age, health, and stress levels, among others.
    Lately, I have been functioning on less than 5-6 hours of sleep, but I feel more rested with 7-8 hours.

3. Souther29 profile image81
    Souther29posted 4 years ago

I can usually do ok on 6 hours of sleep but in an ideal world I'll get 7-8 hours. It's probably the optimal levels for me and certainly when I was younger I didn't need as much sleep (but then I had less responsibilities).

Some people believe that you should only go to bed when your body feels tired and not go to bed 'just because you need to'. I do know that if you are trying to lose weight or be healthy then 8 hours is best as your body produces beneficial hormones specifically when you are asleep. I believe it's to do with regulating your insulin levels and production of cortisol.

working