jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Is time within your awareness?

1. PoeticPhilosophy profile image82
    PoeticPhilosophyposted 4 years ago

Is time within your awareness?

When you think throughout your day do you think of time? Like after 5 minutes has passed do you know 5 minutes has passed? I personally do not live in time it is never within my mind but it use to be drastically. Give me your takes on this smile

2. Tusitala Tom profile image63
    Tusitala Tomposted 4 years ago

You might think that time is not in your mind but I can assure you there is a part of you that is aware of it.  Haven't you ever noticed that when you set your mind to wake up at a certain time in the morning you do so?   At an unconscius level there is a part of you that measures it off quite accurately.   It knows, for example, when you're tired and need sleep.   You might ignore that.  That is, you make a decision to ignore the machinations of the 'robot clock' within. But you can only do that for so long.  Eventually the metabolic time-keeper will say 'enough!' and you will fall asleep.   

When we are aware we are definitely in 'the Now.'  But we can still be in the now and listen to a clock ticking away the seconds.   In this case we're aware of time.   You could say time is passing.  It moves. We stand still.  We are always in the present moment.   The Observer that we are always looks out and knows that it is doing the observing, whether it be from the reflected light into four-year-old eyes, or through the spectacles of a ninety-year-old.

It gets more complicated when we think about something in the past.  A part of our mind takes back the moment, but most of that mind and certainly our physical body stays 'in the now, or how could we come back?

Chronological time is a given.  It is Psycological time we're talking about here.   And physchological time has everything to do with our conscious concern with what we're doing at that time.   For example, if we're in pain, it can (seem to) drag.  If we're enjoying ourselves it can (seem to) fly.   But those seconds are ticking off at exactly the same time.

PoeticPhilosophyposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the deep insight.. This isn't in my case though all people are different. I was meaning in terms of being 'consciously' aware like actually using effort to think about time in your awareness not so much of the unconscious nature of this..

3. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 4 years ago

That's a really big "it depends".  Being technically retired these days, I've been somewhat freed from the dictates of time--but not entirely.  I write through most of most nights and remain generally aware of the passing of time so that I can "get down" (to bed) by the time the sun comes up in most cases. 
    There is one activity, however, that takes me completely out of time.  I haven't indulged much in recent years, but when I'm painting--oils sometimes, but mostly acrylics on canvas board--time goes away completely.  When I "come out of the canvas", I usually have NO idea how much time has passed.
    Which is weird in a way, since I'm no Picasso, but as a way to make the clock disappear, an art brush in my hand will do it every time.

PoeticPhilosophyposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your comment and sharing, exactly what I was looking for in a answer thank you smile