jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What can be done, if we suspect that a relative or a friend needs mental help?

  1. Frank Menchise profile image28
    Frank Menchiseposted 4 years ago

    What can be done, if we suspect that a relative or a friend needs mental help?

    From the way he/she behaves it seems that something is wrong; when you ask a question there is no answer to it, and this person becomes very upset, we do not dare to continue asking because he/she might become violet; Is there anyone that can suggest what can be done?

  2. PoeticPhilosophy profile image81
    PoeticPhilosophyposted 4 years ago

    Some people like keeping to themselves and not answer certain things.. It doesn't mean they need mental help you just need to eas off and let them be, act positive and they'll come to you. Always support them, and make them feel better and trust me. They'll turn around.

  3. Borsia profile image45
    Borsiaposted 4 years ago

    One of two things have to happen before you can do anything.
    1. the person admits that they have a problem and agrees to see a professional.
    2. they do something so egregious that law enforcement or social services gets called in.
    Beyond this there really is very little that you can do. If the person has violent reactions to any suggestion that there might be a problem all that will happen if you try will be them breaking off relations / contact.
    Worse yet they might decide that you are "out to get them" which can have dire consequences.

  4. connorj profile image75
    connorjposted 4 years ago

    Initially read and become knowledgeable about the diagnosis of mental disorders. Then simply chat with him/her and try to discern if there are any symptoms or  characteristics present. Obviously if she refuses to chat with you that makes it more difficult; however, by no means does that suggest mental illness, If you cannot or will not "open" the line of communication because of threat potential. I would meet with a clinical psychologist and ask him/her to meet with her in your friend's environment,,, The clinical psychologist will be able to discern or potentially provide diagnosis. However, more importantly the psychologist (within the United States) would have the power to "Baker Act" her if she is indeed a threat to herself and/or others,,,

  5. Sherry Hewins profile image94
    Sherry Hewinsposted 4 years ago

    The best way is to convince the person to seek help for themselves. If you cannot talk about their problems without them becoming violent, that's a pretty good indication that they do need help, but help can be hard to get, especially without their cooperation.

    The only way you can force someone to get help is if they are a danger to themselves or others. Even in those cases involuntary commitment is usually short-term. Often when a mentally ill person acts out they will end up in the criminal justice system, where they will not get the help they need.

    Sorry to sound so negative, but that's been my experience.

  6. Frank Menchise profile image28
    Frank Menchiseposted 4 years ago

    Thanks to you all that have read and answered my quest:
    Thanks, PoeticPhilosophy; I see what you mean and perhaps I have tried too hard to get an answer to my question from this person, so in the future I am going to be easy and support him/her, in the hope that he/she works out what is happening and take the step to correct it.
    Thanks, Borsia, you seem to know very well what we are talking about here, perhaps you might have been in this situation yourself; you see, my concerns here is that I wish I could prevent this person to get really in trouble, but I am not able to make him see that he needs to see a professional.
    Thanks, connorj, I see what you mean, and there is always lots of things to learn before one can say for certain what can be done, so I will think about it and see if there is any possibility that I can get a professional involved.
    Thanks, Sherry Hewins; Yes I agree with you that I need to convince this person to seek help for himself, I have tried that and he hates me for doing it and he has become a bit violent. Now what concerns me most is that he has got a good job and if does anything stupid in his job he is going to lose it and then he will really be in a lot of trouble. Anyhow thanks to you all for your help.