jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

What makes people applaud a struggling mentality as opposed to a comfortable men

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

What makes people applaud a struggling mentality as opposed to a comfortable mentality for their

children?  It seems that many people believe that giving children the best is "spoiling" them.  They also believe that children should struggle and have it difficult as those things supposedly build character.  There is nothing wrong with giving our children the best and better opportunities than we have.. No right thinking parent want their children to struggle and to have it difficult during their childhood and teen years!

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8277073_f260.jpg

2. CraftytotheCore profile image81
    CraftytotheCoreposted 4 years ago

I don't think giving the "best" (defined by what?) is "spoiling" a child.  I used to spoil my children in the sense that I gave them whatever they wanted because I could. 

I agree, there is nothing wrong with giving children better opportunities than we have.  That's exactly why I struggle so my children don't have to struggle. 

I can't afford to shop at a store for children that charges $45 for jeans, but I get by with the money we do have and make it stretch so they get everything they need.  They don't always get everything they want, but I don't define that as struggling or uncomfortable. 

I just don't think they need the latest video game or iphone to be happy in their childhood!  My children have way more than I was allowed when I was their age.

Proof is they are happier now and more successful in life in general than when I bought them everything under the sun and spoiled them under my definition of spoiled.

1. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Excellent answer, I  totally agree!

2. CraftytotheCore profile image81
      CraftytotheCoreposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I love your questions!  You really make me put my brain in to gear! smile

working