Do we really need to speed things up?

1. kknde profile image61
    kkndeposted 4 years ago

Do we really need to speed things up?

It is really needed to be quick? Or this is only the illusion entertained by the society.

2. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

I guess it all depends on what people want to speed up. Faster technology such as computers is great. But for things such as manufacturing, faster isn't always better. Do you want your surgeon to do your surgery faster or do it right? Where I work, I feel it's better to work a bit slower and have a lower scrap (mismade parts) rate. For some things, quality takes time even if that lowers the quantity of whatever it is.

3. Ericdierker profile image53
    Ericdierkerposted 4 years ago

The answer is yes we must be quick. The football player, the courtroom lawyer the surgeon, the soldier, the programmer, the policeman and the fireman. The teacher in a classroom, the stock broker, the salesman on the floor. The POTUS. Maybe not so much a priest or woodworker or writer. But even there there are times quickness is imperative.

But all of these study and train and take their time perfecting their skills. That cannot be hurried or quick. But the resulting action when called to action must be swift and certain. We must not confuse the patience of practice and devotion to reaching a higher standard with the need to respond rapidly, efficiently and with certainty.
    Does that mean our day to day must be fast paced and in a hurry? Of course not. In fact the opposite.People multitasking and "too busy" because they do not have enough time in their day are deluding themselves. Show me a frantic surgeon and then show me the door. Can you imagine a preacher hurrying through a sermon?
    But these things will happen to us if we allow the pace of a machine to set our pace.