Do we really need to watch the news regularly?

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 64 discussions (64 posts)
  1. MellyMoo profile image61
    MellyMooposted 12 years ago

Do we really need to watch the news regularly?

I have found that the nightly news is mostly negative and believe we do not need to fill our subconscious with it ... events that make us feel helpless and fearful. I watch it only occassionally now and along with many things I do, for my health & wellbeing, I know that I feel better for this.  What do you think?

2. profile image0
    gulnazahmadposted 12 years ago

I prefer to watch as less news as possible but its not possible to avoid news at any cost because news are everywhere in newspapers, on TV, on internet, in cell phones and on billboards too. No where is free of news so I am fed up of news but I can not avoid them.
    Most of the time they are negative and induce rage and depression in people:(

3. JGoul profile image60
    JGoulposted 12 years ago

Watching the news on T.V. is unnecessary, and according to most studies, harmful.  People who watch the news on T.V. tend to be unhappier and more alienated from their communities.

Reading the newspaper, however, shows the opposite effects.  There are a lot of reasons for this, but the short answer to your question is, stay informed, but do so without watching the news, if at all possible.

4. penlady profile image59
    penladyposted 12 years ago

We need to watch the news to be aware of what's going on in our society.  However, watching it for hours isn't necessary.  It really does feel you up with toxic. 

I once heard that you shouldn't watch the news at night because the negativity could affect your sleep.

5. chasemillis profile image69
    chasemillisposted 12 years ago

No, reading the newspaper is just fine. You don't even have to read it, you can just look at the headlines to see what the big stories are

6. Faceless39 profile image93
    Faceless39posted 12 years ago

No.  Its main purpose is to brainwash and subdue us, which makes us easier to control and manipulate.  Occasional use is okay, but be aware of what it's doing to your subconscious!

7. wingedcentaur profile image64
    wingedcentaurposted 12 years ago

I don't believe it is very important to follow the news on television, radio, and newspaper everyday, or even regularly. We need to educate ourselves as to what is happening in the world, about other people, and what their concerns are; but I believe it is far, far, far more important to read books for historical understanding of how our world got to be the way it is. We need to read more books to help us place the "events of today" into historical context.

The "news" doesn't seem to change that much on a day-to-day basis.

8. McHamlet profile image59
    McHamletposted 12 years ago

If art is the truth behind the lie, the news is the lie behind the truth. I agree you're mostly better off without it. I read the headlines online now and again. More than enough for me.

9. platinumOwl4 profile image72
    platinumOwl4posted 12 years ago

Only it you want to be led by people who do not have your interest at heart.

10. StevenRobaina profile image61
    StevenRobainaposted 12 years ago

If you don't watch the news regularly at least attempt to read a newspaper from time to time or catch a few articles online. It helps with writing and it could even make you a funnier person. Trust me I know.

11. visionandfocus profile image69
    visionandfocusposted 12 years ago

Certainly not. The media want you to, for the network ratings, but why should we waste our time for their benefit? Better off spending that time with our families and friends, reading and writing, actively doing positive things rather than passively hearing negative ones.

12. greenza profile image60
    greenzaposted 12 years ago

As some of the other guys here have said, its good to watch the news. It lets you know what is happening around us. Cant be ostriches with our heads in the sand hehehehe. Agreed though, it can look a bit negative....but then again it all depends on your point of view. Do you see opportunities or only problems? Is the glass half full or half empty?

13. mattdigiulio profile image76
    mattdigiulioposted 12 years ago

I agree Melly. TV nightly news I think needs to be shocking to get viewers like anything else on TV. I get my news online, through podcasts. Give a listen to the program "Democracy Now" and it will give you an objective look at real news today. It is very well produced and full of information from around the world. It is extremely good.
    Getting the news from substantive places helps you to know what is going on and not be isolated from the terrible things that are happening to others. TV news is highly processed horse meat that is meant to scare you and me into selfish thinking. We need to worry about ourselves and ourselves alone.
    Other forms of news -- you can find what fits you in podcasts, there are many out there -- give a worldwide scope, based on facts and the reporters' educated discourse. It is important to know, and thus care, about everyone else on this planet.

Best, Matt

14. JT Walters profile image72
    JT Waltersposted 12 years ago

Actually, I haven't watched the news in years.  I get what I need from people around me and occassionally I read the paper.

15. Jonesy0311 profile image60
    Jonesy0311posted 12 years ago

I watch about 2 hours of news per week and I can honestly say that I don't think I have missed anything of importance. Of course, I may up my intake around election or debate time. I prefer to read, particularly historical non-fiction, which has taught me more than any media outlet. The media tends to harp on issues of little importance and utterly ignore things like global warming, Darfur, Rwanda, and political corruption except in brief bursts. Honestly, I just get frustrated and the media only reminds me of the dangers of widespread apathy.

16. MellyMoo profile image61
    MellyMooposted 12 years ago

visionand focus ... I agree that we are better off spending that time with our families.
    McHamlet, I think online headlines are enough too!
    gulnazahmad, yes news is everywhere and I totally agree that is mostly negative and surely does induce rage and depression in some people.
    JGoul, it makes sense to me!
    penlady, I agree that we need to know SOME of what is going on however we can find this out via friends and family or in the newspaper or online.  Understandably, watching news at night would affect sleep I think.
    PlatinumOwl4, I agree that they do not have our best interests at heart, otherwise they would balance the negative with the positive much more.
    wingedcentaur, yes reading is way better! I guess you are right about working out how our world got to where it is today.  I also think it is important to concentrate on how we want our lives, and the world to be in the future and do all we can to ensure a healthier place for all of us.
    Yes StevenRobaina, you are right about that.
    Mattdigiulio, it is definitely important to know and care about others that is for sure, however I do not feel that the nightly news will help with this.  Thank you for telling me about "Democracy Now" program. I will check it out.
    chasemillis, thank you for your input.
    greenza, thank you too.  I just feel that the news could be approached in a different way&is full of things our subconscious does not need to store!
    JTWalters... good one
    Faceless 39 .. I am with you there!
    Jonesy0311... exactly!!!

17. venomousvenky1 profile image59
    venomousvenky1posted 12 years ago

of course you need to watch news...but if ur worried too much about your subconscious mind then i think i got a suggestion for u... jus b4 switching off ur TV/Laptop jus surf through few comedies, songs, cartoons or anything that interests you in an optimistic way. . . I hope this'll make you know the current happenings as well soothe your mind,,,

Venkat

18. marymootoo profile image60
    marymootooposted 12 years ago

The news is now part of the entertainment industry with the news readers now celebrities instead of the messengers. At times difficult and sad events are reported with sensationalism that is not required, as if the world can no longer cope without TV news. I can appreciate that the news should be told, but I feel the TV companies are trying to make up my mind for me what is right and what is not.
    Someone once told me that he did not watch the news because watching the news on the 1 eyed monster in the corner was like ripping your brain through your eye sockets. And if anything important happened someone would tell him! So I do not think that watching the news regularly is a good thing.

19. Winnie* profile image67
    Winnie*posted 12 years ago

No.  They tell us what they want us to hear.  I don't think you'll ever get the full story from any news network no matter how much they fit your beliefs.  It's another way for them to brainwash us.  You just have to talk to my dad for 5 minutes to realize how the news affects him.  (He's retired army, 20 years, and grew up in a small town, and now lives in a small town.)

20. Sundry profile image60
    Sundryposted 12 years ago

When I was in college, which wasn't that long ago, my instructors stressed that we should watch the news. I personally found it entertaining at times and informative at others. If you want to be focused on your health and well being, don't watch the nightly news too much. Learning a new subject, would be more beneficial. One hour a day of yoga, a new hobby, or of an interesting subject like quantum physics or photography, that helps with health and well being the most.

21. javaoverride profile image60
    javaoverrideposted 12 years ago

i dont need to watch the news or any tv program as some one always post any thing that was worth watching on facebook. smile

22. Dexter Yarbrough profile image69
    Dexter Yarbroughposted 12 years ago

I don't watch the news because the media supports negativity and sensationalism. The nightly news outlets get rich off of keeping people in fear and ruining others lives.

I catch the headlines on the Internet, but I use my own judgment as to what to believe.

23. profile image0
    Joshua526posted 12 years ago

I also avoid watching the daily news, makes me very fearful and scrambles my priority, makes me lose my focus.

24. R S Beer profile image60
    R S Beerposted 12 years ago

I used to watch a lot of news, and read various newspapers and online sites. Nowadays, I like to read my local paper each week to keep up to date with what is happening in the community and I glance through the news headlines on my ISPs homepage.

I do have an RSS news feed on my browsers toolbar, but I don't look at it very often.

I feel that there's no need to keep up with news on a daily basis anymore, but that it's important to be reasonably informed about world affairs and to be up to date on local news.

25. RandomThoughts... profile image66
    RandomThoughts...posted 12 years ago

I believe having discernment about what you watch and read is the key. The US media has been bought out and corrupted to a large extent and a few big corporations own them. So their agenda is what we are fed. Research, read, follow up on issues that you hear about. Go in search of the truth. The news has turned into entertainment of the worst kind. I have a few select resources that I gather my info from and when it becomes too depression, frustrating or enraging and hopeless, I stop gathering for awhile and regroup.

Absolutely choose family over television...moderation is always a good thing.

26. Vicki.Pierce profile image69
    Vicki.Pierceposted 12 years ago

I must admit that I avoid the news like the plague.  I agree that there is nothing but gloom and doom on the news. 

To tell you how much I stay away from the media; when Hurricane Katrina happened I was totally oblivious to the whole situation.  One of my parrot breeding facilities had alerted me to the crisis and sternly reprimanded me with, "Vicki, turn on the news!"

27. mpg2012oh profile image60
    mpg2012ohposted 12 years ago

some news are good to know and keep up with what important to know. You right maybe not all the time watching news.

28. profile image0
    Valoric Fireposted 12 years ago

How else would Americans get there daily dosage of required indoctrination and group think, resulting in the predictable, controllable, complacent and apathetic responses to matters of critical individual debate.  Bread & circuses are alive and well, functioning daily via the main stream media, piped into every obese homestead by the idiot box. "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore"

29. Jennie Demario profile image41
    Jennie Demarioposted 12 years ago

I recently find myself only watching the local news channel to see whats going on around town.. i do agree that the media exacerbates the doom and gloom and glorifies all the negativity..

30. kievan profile image65
    kievanposted 12 years ago

My short answer is NO.

I'm glad to see many people who's opinion I share. Beside everything that everybody has mentioned, like watching news in moderation, not watching it at all, brainwashing and other negative stuff I would like to add something that I believe nobody has mentioned.

On the most fundamental level every electrical appliance is detrimental to our health, because of the waves that that appliance radiates disrupt our own bio field. Add to this weakening effect, the continuous torrent of commands like "Be afraid!" and the TV set deserves a name of a zombiefying box.

31. profile image0
    Marie-AnneLeClercposted 12 years ago

Absolutely Not! We don't need to be controlled by new's freaks...

32. marshacanada profile image69
    marshacanadaposted 12 years ago

Interesting Question MellyMoo.
    I get more info from on line news, and mainly from public radio CBC-Canadian Broadcasting Company. The CBC radio news and information programs are  detailed.  World wide news is offered with less sensationalism and NO ADVERTIZING. I listen while I am doing house work, driving,carving,reading McLeans a weekly newsmagazine in Canada which is like Time in the USA.
    I compulsively want to know what is happening in the world.
    and usually listen and read news every morning and sometimes also turn on the TV but often with the volume off.
    Watching too much disaster TV news occasionally gives me interesting dreams and nightmares.

33. guy1973 profile image56
    guy1973posted 12 years ago

I feel that i need to feel connected with the world round me and to know what is going on, be it politics, financial and all the rest. I admit that sometimes there are things that just makes me go mad and frustrated, but i have learned not to let it affect me, nor my out look on life in general

34. woodamarc profile image43
    woodamarcposted 12 years ago

Watching, or reading the news is almost worthless and is mostly about who can sell the most press.  And it is so true... Who needs the stress of negativity. If I need to get the real scoop, there are many good Internet newsights that cut to the chase instead of winding you all up unnecessarily.

35. danfresnourban profile image60
    danfresnourbanposted 12 years ago

When you say watch, that implies television news. I am a criminal defense attorney and I know news reporters from TV, the newspaper, and talk television. Sadly, the format that has the greatest impact is TV news, however they cover only the most sensational news and they do it in a poor way.

So, I would not advocate watching the news to 'get the story' because you will not get the whole story. I do recommend staying informed of local, national and international developments. This is one way we learn about situations that are important to us.

Lets say your a mother and you say I just care about my children and I don't want to bother with world news. If a story came out that food listed as organic was not really organic, and you had been feeding your children that food, you would want to know about.

Stay engaged, get information, but do not anyone spoon feed information as they want you to believe it.

36. misstake profile image59
    misstakeposted 12 years ago

I think it can almost become toxic watching too much.  Moderation is where I try to watch

37. GreenMathDr profile image64
    GreenMathDrposted 12 years ago

There are are times that watching the news can be depressing. I therefore believe that we would be much happier and more productive if we kept our news watching to a minimum.
    Besides, if anything vital is happening it will be on the internet first.

38. profile image0
    reena_yadavposted 12 years ago

It's been ages since we watched any news on local television. With internet, news is updated every few minutes and it is available with just a click of the mouse.

I do agree that news is always negative and that we should not fill our lives with it. It doesn't help that here in Malaysia, the local news & media is "controlled" so that only the good stuff about the government is shown.

Thankfully, we have cable TV which gives us access to CNN, BBC & Al Jazeera which are much more independent in their reporting. Cable TV also provides us with other useful channels such as Discovery, National Geographic, the History Channel all of which are educational and benefit us.

39. profile image53
    jaywrightposted 12 years ago

I think today news is most important parts of our life,I'm also watch news every day.news is provide us the whole story of this world.
    http://zetaclearsite.net

40. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 12 years ago

I never do. I find it extremely disturbing and I tend to lose sleep over world problems that I can't really fix. The only thing I watch regularly is the weather, and that's why we have the weather channel.

41. mitshell profile image60
    mitshellposted 12 years ago

yes, it is needed to watch the news every day to be able to know what is happening in our world

42. shana yasmin profile image61
    shana yasminposted 12 years ago

my opinion is ,ther is no necessity of watching news.it is good to know about the world by researching.this will make you great and you can hear the real story , than the news from medias.

43. Dr Sunitha N profile image59
    Dr Sunitha Nposted 12 years ago

Yes i agree with u. On political views once a week summary will suffice. On technology once in fortnight. On health consciousness everyday  a must. On sports and others need to get highlighted daily or as and when required

44. acewebdesign profile image58
    acewebdesignposted 12 years ago

I really don't think so. I don't see much benefit from keeping track of all the news. We can easily check news websites these days. Social media circles will usually let you know when something important is happening in the world with peoples status changes etc anyway

45. jwblackwell profile image59
    jwblackwellposted 12 years ago

I think you can watch every few days or even weekly - if you read news online you can easily get a summary of the most important events that week. Real news doesn't happen as frequently as 24 hour news channels would lead you to believe.

46. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years ago

No.  Most of the time, it's a downer.  I wouldn't consider it professional journalism either.  It's all about getting your attention in the worst possible way.

47. Pollyannalana profile image60
    Pollyannalanaposted 12 years ago

I rarely do, I get about all the headlines at yahoo that are important it seems.

48. swathi180 profile image62
    swathi180posted 12 years ago

I watch news daily but only once and that too preferably headlines.I think knowing bout the world around me is also important.I prepare myself to filter the useless and helpless once from them.

49. MammaE profile image59
    MammaEposted 12 years ago

Yes I think your do. If you are not aware of your surroundings it can be dangerous and that leads to making uninformed decisions. But I do take what the talking heads say with a grain of salt because most I have seen is extremely sensationalized and partisan. I do believe however there is a underlying truth in most things.

50. J McGloin profile image60
    J McGloinposted 12 years ago

Why fill your mind with all that negativity. The most successful, powerful and wealthy people don't watch the news. They MAKE it! My husband and I stopped watching and listening to the news several years ago. Readers Digest came out with a little snippet a few years ago:
    Small minds talk about people
    Average minds talk about things and past experiences
    Great minds talk about the future and potential
    I challenge all to be Great Minds!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)