Why are we startled, and jump by something we're waiting for?

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image96
    DzyMsLizzyposted 4 years ago

Why are we startled, and jump by something we're waiting for?

Such as the toast popping up....

2. profile image0
    Natasha Petersposted 4 years ago

It's an evolutionary precaution! Sudden movements initiate what's called the "fight-or-flight" response. Your heart and breathing rate increases, adrenaline levels rise, and so on. The "jumping" or lifting of your hands is a reflex to protect you, either to move out of the way of something that might be flying towards you (thousands of years ago, a predator, or a branch falling, etc), or to protect yourself from being hit. Most animals have this response - you might have experienced this if you have a pet dog or cat, and drop something on the floor.

Even if you might be "expecting" it, as with the toast popping up, you're still not sure exactly when it's going to happen, thus your body responds in this involuntary way. I might do a hub about this soon; it's an interesting topic.

3. tirelesstraveler profile image82
    tirelesstravelerposted 4 years ago

Or when my husband comes in from work on time and I am surprised when he says, "Hello".  It has something to do with deep thinking,  Most of the time that happens I am engrossed in something and oblivious to my surroundings. .

Closed to reply