jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

What are the best ways of keeping fitness levels up during the busy festive seas

1. CyclingFitness profile image94
    CyclingFitnessposted 4 years ago

What are the best ways of keeping fitness levels up during the busy festive season

What advice could you give to help exercisers maintain and build fitness during the busy holiday season where food is more readily available a d there's always another member of the family to visit?

2. AndrewHH profile image61
    AndrewHHposted 4 years ago

I've just implemented a short calisthenics workout into my morning routine. When I get up, I do a short series of exercises (60 crunches, 10 push ups, stretching) before I shower. It's a great way to wake the body up after sleeping, and it's nothing strenuous enough to hurt yourself. Other than that, I try and move around or be active around the house (chores, go for a short walk) after a big meal, when you feel comfortable. I feel it helps my body digest big meals and reduces the overly full and bloated feeling that's so common around the holidays.

None of these things are going to change your health overnight, but it certainly makes me feel better, and it's better than nothing! smile

1. Harms profile image71
      Harmsposted 18 months agoin reply to this

Do the     The 100 Second Super Shape up Program for the Over Sixties.▼
      which can be found on hubpages. The main thing is to establish a habit of training. Just having to workout for only 100 seconds per day will make it easy for you to form a habit.

3. darrensurrey profile image74
    darrensurreyposted 4 years ago

Your fitness levels are nothing to do with an availability of food so I guess you mean your fatness levels?

If you really do mean to keep fit during Christmas then just continue with your normal training. Eating an excess of food will not reduce your VO2 max.

If you mean your fatness levels, then consider doing an extra session of exercise on Christmas morning or the following day.

That said, if you've been good all year, then Christmas is nothing to worry about... personally, I will not be doing any training on Christmas day as it's a Wednesday which is a rest day for me.

4. tirelesstraveler profile image81
    tirelesstravelerposted 4 years ago

Accountability partner who is crazy and has convinced you that crazy is normal.  Steps are good too.  Take them whenever you can.  Especially WHEN TRAVELING.  KNOWING where the steps are in hotels is a safety factor in the event of fire.