Would you feel comfortable if your surgeon smoked a joint 10minutes before he di

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (41 posts)
  1. tirelesstraveler profile image59
    tirelesstravelerposted 10 years ago

Would you feel comfortable if your surgeon smoked a joint 10minutes before he did surgery on you?

POTUS has said marijuana should be legal..  It is in several states.  We hear about medical marijuana, being good, but do you want doctors, pilots, truck drivers smoking it and working?

2. Rock_nj profile image91
    Rock_njposted 10 years ago

No, and I wouldn't want them drinking alcohol on the job either, so what is your point?

tirelesstravelerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Shouldn't we should be OK with this because marijuana is supposed to enhance abilities, relax you and help you think? I read and article that said so.

3. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 10 years ago

No. I don't think anyone who is working, operating a vehicle, or responsible for taking care of another person (child care, elder care, etc) should be under the influence of marijuana or any other drug. The people who think it's ok should ask themselves if they think it should be legal for those workers to do the same jobs if they're under the influence of alcohol.

4. M. T. Dremer profile image85
    M. T. Dremerposted 10 years ago

Why would a doctor smoke a joint before doing surgery? Making marijuana legal doesn't mean it wouldn't have the same restrictions as alcohol. Pro marijuana legalization doesn't mean pro smoking on the job.

5. ChristinS profile image40
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

On their time off why should it matter? There are narcotic drugs that will disable you worse that are perfectly legal - not to mention alcohol.  I wouldn't want my pilot, doctor etc.  taking those while on duty either, but during one's own personal time, I really don't care what people choose to do if it doesn't directly effect me.  If they aren't intoxicated while at work then it shouldn't matter.

1. profile image0
      Mklow1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am not sure if you read the question or not, but if they smoke the joint 10 minutes b4 they do surgery on you then couldn't that potentially affect you? or r u sayin that it is ok as long as that 10 minutes b4 they were technically off duty? lol

2. ChristinS profile image40
      ChristinSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

my point being the question is silly. Of course not, but where did the President say it was safe to smoke it "10 minutes" before? Most rational people don't drink, use drugs etc 10 minutes before work, if they do on their own time, I could care less.

3. profile image0

Thats the great thing about hubpages; if u think it is a silly question, u don't have 2 answer it. U have never taken a philosophy class if u think this is a silly question. I guess Socrates was dumb for telling the "Analogy of a Cave" 2 Glaucon? lol

6. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

Maybe if he shared some with me first, but otherwise no.

7. The Examiner-1 profile image61
    The Examiner-1posted 10 years ago

No. I would not my doctor - or any Dr. - smoking it. I would not want to take it as a medicine either. I do not think that it should used legally or illegally. I believe that the people growing it should go through the same laws - jail and all - which people caught smoking it go through.

1. RBJ33 profile image70
      RBJ33posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Where I live it's legal.  Do you feel the same about liquor store owners?

2. The Examiner-1 profile image61
      The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I do not think that it should be legal anywhere.
      The store owners are just the ones in-between. For alcohol it is the makers and users.

3. RBJ33 profile image70

Many years ago when it was declared illegal it was because the US didn't want the Mexican folks bringing it here - not because it was harmful, but for political reasons.  All these years it has been a sham.

4. tirelesstraveler profile image59
      tirelesstravelerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The cartels are growing pot on government lands in California. Very inventive.

5. The Examiner-1 profile image61

RBJ33,
      After seeing what does to people, even those who do not use it but are too close, I believe that it is harmful.

6. RBJ33 profile image70

Examiner - I respect what you believe.  There are many things that are harmful - like all the crap in our foods, the air we breath, what some companies dump into our rivers.  As long as we are apathetic  we will get what we do not deserve. .

7. The Examiner-1 profile image61

RBJ33 - I know, I am working on checking the foods everyday, online and in the supermarkets. I am beginning to wonder if anything will be safe to eat soon.

8. RBJ33 profile image70

That's good Examiner!  But, are you also "participating' by writing to your representatives, and signing petitions?  Or are you one of the apathetic ones?

9. The Examiner-1 profile image61

On AARP.

10. profile image0

RBJ33 said:"There are many things that are harmful - like all the crap in our foods, the air we breath, what some companies dump into our rivers"

And they should all be illegal, don't you think?

11. The Examiner-1 profile image61

They are trying but they cannot keep up with them all. I read how a certain food is healthy and then how that same food is unhealthy. Then I finally read how it is healthy for some but not for ones with certain diseases.

8. junkseller profile image79
    junksellerposted 10 years ago

A single joint wouldn't worry me much at all. In fact, I could see where it might be helpful. Even so, marijuana being good, even if you accept that, does not in any way endorse using it irresponsibly. It is a chemical additive and should not be used if impairment diminishes functioning during a critical endeavor, exactly the same as any other similar substance.

9. fastquick20 profile image61
    fastquick20posted 10 years ago

i think the drug affects everyone differently.  Since I don't know the doctor personally and would not have had the opportunity to see how it affects his state of mind, then I would say absolutely no.  However, I can see the other side of this question and not judge if someone said ÿes"

10. profile image0
    Mklow1posted 10 years ago

No, I would not want my surgeon high when he is performing surgery on me.

1. profile image0

I would have thought this would be 100% no's, but I guess since this is such a political hot button right now, people would rather side with what their political party tells them to say instead of using common sense.

2. tirelesstraveler profile image59

There are alot of things I don't want my doctor doing before surgery.  Including argue with his/her spouse. One of my acquaintances swears there are no effects from pot.

3. profile image0

So then u r going 2 trust that acquaintance and say u r ok w/ a dr smoking marijuana 10 minutes b4 surgery?

11. RBJ33 profile image70
    RBJ33posted 10 years ago

Rock_nj beat me to it - there are a number of things I don't want them doing, including alcohol, lots of caffeine, etc.  What is you point?

Hear much about  using pot to relax, take away pain and the like. Seldom hear anything about performing technical work,  I always want to know the other side..

12. Borsia profile image40
    Borsiaposted 10 years ago

It wouldn't bother me if he / she was accustom to it.
    I've done a lot of very precise machine work and fabrication after smoking pot and if anything it aided concentration and fine motor skills.
    In college we tested pot vs alcohol using video games and most of us tested better on pot than "sober" while alcohol was just the opposite.
    Like anything there are levels at which things degrade and anyone not accustom to the affects of any substance will be worse under the influence.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image61

Tell us how you would know whether they were accustomed to it, or if it was the first one.

2. Borsia profile image40
      Borsiaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You wouldn't, but then you wouldn't know if they had smoked in the first place so that is rather moot. Pot doesn't debilitate one's motor skills or concentration and I wouldn't be worried about it. I want my Dr to follow their normal behavior period

13. tsadjatko profile image65
    tsadjatkoposted 10 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8680315_f260.jpg

Doesn't matter how you would feel about it 'cause there is nothing you can do about it whether it is legal or not!
    If your surgeon is a person who would do that or feels he needs such a crutch to operate he is probably doing it now already even if it is illegal. Worse yet if he can't operate without a fix, he is a doctor - he can pop any pill he wants, who needs pot? and you'll never know.
    If he isn't doing it now it is not because it is illegal, it is because he knows he doesn't need it to operate and probably would never need such a crutch.
    If you are concerned I wouldn't wait 'til it is legal, ask him now if he needs to smoke pot to operate and whatever his answer to you, go with your gut. I would (if it mattered to me). :-)
    GREAT QUESTION BTW! Your point is obvious.

14. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 10 years ago

There are some studies which seem to have indicated that some marijuana in the system (THC and all the other cannabinoids) actually improves driving.

Certainly, one can't compare driving or operating machinery in a routine sort of way under the influence of marijuana to the same thing as under the of lots of alcohol.

Would I want a doctor smoking pot before he operated on me?  You kidding?  If I'm in surgery, then I probably have other things to be concerned about...and surgery is a high stress endeavor for everyone.  Again, "surgery" is a very loose bit of terminology.  Hip replacement surgery or...brain surgery is something too distant in severity, skill needed, time elapsed, etc, etc, etc...to having an ingrown toenail removed, or from having a colonoscopy or something of that nature.

1. profile image0

I think I saw that study. Wasn't it performed by "High Times"?

15. chinmayXdas profile image69
    chinmayXdasposted 10 years ago

Haha...nice question...
    Considering I am having a medical condition, where I need the surgery at any cost, I can't really do anything other than praying that things fall right into the place on time.
    smile

16. PatriciaTL profile image68
    PatriciaTLposted 10 years ago

I agree with Rock_nj.  I can't imagine that anyone would be "ok" with a doctor drinking alcohol or taking any kind of mind-altering drug while on the job.

I don't want to even smell smoke from a cigarette on a doctor going into surgery.

17. Globetrekkermel profile image64
    Globetrekkermelposted 10 years ago

I will not only feel uncomfortable. I will be very upset for his unprofessional conduct and you can bet I will report him to the American board of medical association  and will also report him to the proper authorities. That is endangering patients ' lives and I will never go to him again.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image61

Here, here.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)