Do you have synesthesia?

1. Moon Daisy profile image85
    Moon Daisyposted 3 years ago

Do you have synesthesia?

Synesthesia, (also spelt synaestheia), is the intermingling of senses. 

Do music, words or letters make you see colours?  Can you taste sounds?  Do your feelings have textures? 

I've been synaesthesic for as long as I can remember, (for me numbers and weekdays have colours, and feelings and emotions do too).  And I think it's much more common that people think.  I'd love to know if lots of other people have these sensations too.  Does this sound like you?

2. The Public Image profile image81
    The Public Imageposted 3 years ago

I have experienced synesthesia for about 20 years now. It specifically affects me with regard to sound, and even more specifically with regard to music. For some reason, certain audible tones or noises are associated with colors in my mind--I can almost "see" the sounds.

And it gets even more intense when I'm listening to music, which is why I prefer to listen to the work of bands and artists who perhaps put as much or more emphasis on timbres and textures than, say, lyrics or songwriting. Those are secondary concerns in my mind, because where they might "paint pictures" in others' imaginations, in mine, the actual SOUNDS themselves create shapes and colors and form.

I could give some specific examples if they're wanted, but I think I probably sound like a pretentious weirdo as it is, so I'll leave well enough alone for the time being!

1. Moon Daisy profile image85
      Moon Daisyposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, that's really interesting. Doesn't sound pretentious, (to me anyway!) I know just what you mean about sounds creating shapes, etc. That also happens to me sometimes, I watch these strange forms building, and wonder where they're coming from!

working