jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Woman who use drugs while pregnant should be put in prison & her baby should be

1. Karen Ranoni profile image46
    Karen Ranoniposted 3 years ago

Woman who use drugs while pregnant should be put in prison & her baby should be put up for adoption.

When a woman gives birth and her child tests positive for drugs, or even if the mother just tests positive for drugs; why is she not imprisoned and her child taken from her? Don't you agree that it should be illegal to do drugs while pregnant? Have any of you ever known someone who did drugs while pregnant? If so how did she rationalize her behavior and lack of concern for her unborn child?

2. jaydawg808 profile image91
    jaydawg808posted 3 years ago

I agree with you 100%. If they're still having this reckless and party lifestyle, they're not ready to parent and care for a baby. I'm just saddened by the way the child will eventually turn out. Neglected, maybe an early adopter of drugs and drinking, and probably committing crimes and be in and out of the jails.

3. junkseller profile image85
    junksellerposted 3 years ago

People with addictions need treatment, not punishment. If you criminalize being addicted while pregnant then you end up with women not coming forward seeking treatment and in some cases maybe not coming forward to get prenatal care at all. That is not a good outcome.

1. Aime F profile image85
      Aime Fposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Completely agree! I'd like to see more structured rehabilitation programs geared towards pregnant women/mothers. Prison is not the answer in this situation.

2. Karen Ranoni profile image46
      Karen Ranoniposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Very good points ladies, although I feel that before you decide to take that hit or drink you have the conscience state of mind to do right, and think of something other than yourself. But I do see your point also!

4. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 3 years ago

I have a few issues with the thought of automatically putting them in jail and placing the child up for adoption. First, everything Junkseller said. Mother's who are unwilling to give up hard drugs while pregnant likely had an addiction prior to the pregnancy and need treatment so they can become a better parent. My second issue is could you imagine how many children that would throw into the foster care system? There are already far more children in the system than there are people willing to adopt them. Another thing is the USA has different thoughts on many things than other countries do. For example in many countries having a beer or a glass of wine while pregnant is a common thing. There have been studies in those countries showing that minimal consumption has no impact on the fetus. The same has been shown for cigarettes. 4 or less in a day is considered safe by many studies. Marijuana has been shown safe for consumption during pregnancy up to a certain amount and has even been shown to create a healthier mother with less smell sensitivities, less morning sickness, and better appetite.
    So while I think something needs to be done about mothers doing hard drugs while pregnant I don't think every situation should be treated the same and we should do our best to help fix the problem to create a better mother.