jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Where is the structure??????

1. Penny G profile image68
    Penny Gposted 3 years ago

Where is the structure??????

Am I the only one who is highly structured and feels like I am living in a very lax unstructured world?

2. Robert the Bruce profile image60
    Robert the Bruceposted 3 years ago

If it's your personal opinion that decides how "structured" the world should be, then yes...it would be unstructured. For someone who lives life by the moment only, the world would seem too highly structured. However this question is too broad for any specific answers. I don't think there's any absolute rule as to how structured the world should be.

Come to think of it, this question is too ambiguous to make any sense.

3. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

Our society has become much more "free flowing" and "creative thinking" is encouraged much more than "linear thinking". Being inspirational appears to be more valued than having substance these days.
    In fact it's not uncommon for "linear thinkers" to work for "creative thinkers". With the advent of how we communicate with text, Skype, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram we have become much more (casual) in our lifestyles and approach to life in general. Structure and formality have fallen by the wayside in many instances.
    The "baby boomers" were big on "turning the world upside down" as a mission. Things today that may not seem so unusual were very radical at the time. ( Smoking pot, pre-marital sex/cohabitating without being married, protesting or not trusting the government, men growing hair as long as women along with getting their ears pierced, making statements like; "Never trust anyone over 30" and "I refuse to grow up!" were all part of being "anti-establishment", pushing the boundaries, and rebelling against structure.
    In the past we were taught go to school, work hard, save your money, and build a good life for yourself. Today we have college drop outs becoming millionaires and billionaires at younger ages than ever before while many graduates are saddled with six figure student loans working in unfulfilling jobs. Divorce rates hover around 50%, having children out of wedlock isn't unusual, very few people work for (one) company for life, and solid investments rise and fall based upon rumors or things happening in distant places around the world. What was known to be true no longer applies.
    Structure for many people gave them stability, predictability, and a sense of security if they'd simply follow the guidelines. They could almost put their lives on "auto pilot". Paradigm shifts seem to take place yearly if not monthly. Although an "anything can happen" way of life can be exciting the lack of structure also means there is so much "uncertainty".  It also becomes harder to define "normal".
    Ultimately our own lives can contain as much structure as we want. It's our views of everyone else's lifestyle choices who are different from our own that causes one to feel a major lack of structure. Everyone is "Doing (their own) thing". Another 1960s phrase.

Penny Gposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I like those thoughts. Another point of view is very welcome . I fit that description pretty well. I like the safety of the structure. Also I am OCD, so stands to reason structure is on the top of my list.

4. profile image0
    temptor94posted 3 years ago

I can understand how you feel smile Everything in this world is really wrong and disorganized, nothing gets done in a smooth manner, all wicked people torment all the good people, things never go as planned. The more we want to organize our lives, the more the plans fall apart.
    We are perfectly justified in trying to bring some order to our lives and it is very disappointing when someone or something disrupts it. You are right, the structure does make us feel safe and in control. Since order and structure is such a fleeting thing, I guess it is best to try and enjoy each moment as much as we can.

Penny Gposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I am working on it. I really would feel better about it all if I would just concentrate on myself, instead of trying to put structure in other peoples lives.

working