Are you depressed?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (35 posts)
  1. Amy Naylor profile image76
    Amy Naylorposted 4 years ago

Are you depressed?

I am asking because the recent news of Robin Williams' suicide has really hit me hard and I want whoever is reading this to know: you don't have to be ashamed of depression, it's an illness but not a weakness, you will be taken seriously if you speak up, and you will be helped.
    It's so sad that suffering like this has to be a part of the world.
    If you need a stranger to speak to (because sometimes that's easier) then please just ask.

I hope you are okay.
    I really, really do.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/9170877_f260.jpg

2. LeslieAdrienne profile image80
    LeslieAdrienneposted 4 years ago

What a blessing you are to extend your ear to help whoever need it... God Bless You...

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

What a wonderful question! You know depression is "so" real. The whole world can love you.... but none of this matters if you do not love yourself. God bless you!!

1. Penny G profile image70
      Penny Gposted 4 years agoin reply to this

If it were not for the love of God I probably wouldn't be here today.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree Penny!

4. CatherineGiordano profile image98
    CatherineGiordanoposted 4 years ago

Thank you for this post.  Robin Williams had such great talent and was loved by everyone who knew him. Always believe this: No matter how bad things are today, they will eventually get better.

Amy Naylorposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes it's really difficult to see the truth in that statement. The light in the tunnel feels like an oncoming train, I know that from experience but the fact that I got through it is proof that things really do get better.

2. RandallJonas profile image84
      RandallJonasposted 4 years agoin reply to this

When depression persists be it post partum, loss of anything, and you are uninterested in anything, thinking of ending your life because you think it will not end, the pain - therapy and a doctor (psychiatrist) are of KEY importance. It can be healed

5. Alli Rose profile image73
    Alli Roseposted 4 years ago

I saw Willians at camp liberty, aka camp suicide in Iraq. He wore a Kevlar, jeans, and a graphic shirt that said "I hate graphic shirts". He brought us cases of near beer, and told us to be really creative and think of it a margarita. He brought us those candy cigars, the ones given to new dads. We couldn't have cigarettes where we were or a sniper would shoot at a cigarette in the dad and shoot someone in the head.  Williams made us laugh and forget where we were. He told us to robin, so that meant we were all batman, then he looked at me and said I could be batgirl. He made us laugh, it was nice because we lost three Marines that day.

1. Alli Rose profile image73
      Alli Roseposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yikes, forgive spelling errors. I'm typing on a very tiny phone.

2. Amy Naylor profile image76

Wow

6. brakel2 profile image76
    brakel2posted 4 years ago

I am somewhat depressed, but concentrate on praying for the family. The media has not helped by releasing so many details, painting a picture that is black. When someone dies, I wish they would talk about the good things, but that is a fantasy world. The media wants to sell papers. I keep picturing him in that bedroom where it happened, but I can make it go away by concentrating on other things. Recalling some of his movies and my little grandson watching one with me makes me feel good about that experience. Remembering him in good times makes me smile. May He rest in peace. I am sure he did not think how unhappy the world would be with him gone, as he was too depressed to think that far ahead. He tried to do his best, and that is a good thing. I am not angry, just sad.

It saddens me to read about people claiming that it was selfish of him to commit suicide. In a state like that, he simply isn't capable of seeing past his worries. I hope you recover from your depression, and the media will celebrate his life too.

2. brakel2 profile image76
      brakel2posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Amy - Thank you for asking this question and for your kind comments. You are blessed.

3. Michael-Milec profile image59
      Michael-Milecposted 4 years agoin reply to this

@ AmyNaylor, You are  so right about those who believe/practice the Word.Living by it gives us reason for  happiness/blessedness,hope and certainty of life everlasting, leaving no room for depression. It sounds weird- however works , greatly, cool !

4. RandallJonas profile image84

He was alone. Obviously he took his life as he was in severe pain. For a man who was so popular, living alone and taking his life ... sad. I do not blame him. I am sorry he did. And sorry nobody was with him to stop him. You MUST NOT BE ALONE.

7. Michael-Milec profile image59
    Michael-Milecposted 4 years ago

Amy Naylor, your hope is evident : All is correct. Depression is horrible word, even worst is condition of it. Someone has mention that in the US are over 15 mil. people on medication due to depression. Too strange to my understanding; wondering why ? Why do people allow themselves to accept the condition. In this beautiful world of  freedom to be happy and fully satisfied, the world in which everyone who wants can work, learn what is right and live righteously. Not mentioning Robin Williams' decision to end his own life ( still I have  to )- about his " full" life even a news  reported  that he " Accepted Christ ", whatever it means… This imitation of what the other do doesn't help unless someone wants to live healthy and happy, have to choose path of righteousness and make decision to walk on. In all my ( quite lengthy) life, I never gave chance depression to enter in my mind, soul and body.  I just hate to be sick and   miserable. Thank to my upbringing with parents by any standard very poor, working hard, and teaching me that " "godliness with contentment is great gain." We had little, always meeting our needs; in  all my life I never had what I would  wanted, having always what needed. One think though, early in my youth I found total peace with God, not worrying about my future including eternity. To say was my life easy? not at all. Several times I faced situation under which many people give up and shorten it all. Again in weirdest decision i spoke to God who became my heavenly Father " You led me before through the valley of the shadow of the death, I trust you You'll  do it again." And His faithfulness did it. My brain isn't sharp enough to know how it works , but I know it does work. In the beginning it was all just faith-believing, now its both plus knowing. Whoever wants, try it, you'll never be sorry and we will meet in heaven.

1. profile image0

I am a Christian as well. Do you not remember Paul asking God to remove his affliction 3 times? Clinical depression is not something one can decide to have or not to have. It is a chemical imbalance in the brain.  Thank God you have not had to experi

2. Amy Naylor profile image76

Depression is not something you choose to allow, but part of recovery is certainly choosing to fight it. I am not a Christian, I have no faith, but I admire those who do, it must give you more hope and happiness than I could ever imagine.

3. Michael-Milec profile image59
      Michael-Milecposted 4 years agoin reply to this

@ JThomp42 Yes I do remember- and after all, Paul was able to write"Rejoice in the Lord  always. I will say it again:Rejoice!"- I believe he also lived  accordingly.The Scripture is  clear: about the righteous being delivered  …Depression isn't from

4. profile image0

Michael.... you need to read Marie's answer as you have no idea what depression is or how it can control one's life!

8. AngeShearer profile image61
    AngeShearerposted 4 years ago

I have just submitted a poem on depression to get published.  I do suffer from depression and many other things.....I have what is known as an addictive personality and since addressing my addictions being true to myself and no longer running from me...I just now live in today anything more just nails me....if I can get through the day (the whole day) without finding the sanctuary of my room then on that day I have lived I've survived.
    Depression sneaks up and out of no where takes hold like "BANG" you've just been punched in the face....it's not an option of choice it can be purely circumstantial. ..it can bring the strongest of us to our knees....I only use the medication when I feel myself falling as they only mask the situation you still have to own it for it doesn't just magically go away....it's a day to day battle and its not as easy as some would think....it's easy to say harden up or be strong but when its your mind and your brain being attacked your two most powerful components that are now fully engaged battling against depression in survival mode nothing else can get in...no thoughts no sanity no direction no control theres nothing more your body can do but shut itself down.....and that my dear people shows the power of depression how would you cope without an active mind and brain....do you think your body would shut down too???

You speak well and true about depression. Good for you for being strong enough to accept it and learn to get by. I hope that one day you break free of its reigns. (Though it makes for material for some bloody good poetry if you don't mind me saying!)

Never fight the thoughts. They are only thoughts. They are not bad or good. Never fight any of it. All emotional states will pass. Emotions are transient. I know this dark place well. I accept it and let it be. I let myself do nothing if need be.

9. profile image53
    Marie Dalleyposted 4 years ago

The problem with mental health issues is that they are like a chronic illness but, unlike COPD or arthritis, they can't be effectively managed with pharmacological intervention. The spectrum is so vast and outcomes so unpredictable. The human mind has defied clear and concise understanding for centuries. Being depressed is made all the more difficult by society's lack of understanding of the disease. Although there have been improvements in recent years, being depressed continues to be something that people would rather not talk about.

A sense of self worth, a sense of belonging, a sense of purpose-these are all things that people are supposed to 'just have', like they're innate or something. But they most certainly are not. And finding yourself lacking in these, finding yourself spiralling down into a black hole of hopelessness and admitting it, can be a lot like saying you're less than, because you don't have these core accomplishments that 'happy' or 'put together' people have.

I was deeply saddened to hear of Robin Williams passing. It is almost unbelievable to think that in this era of social networking and hyper communication that a person could feel so alone and so desperate that their only option is to chose to stop living. It pains me to even try and imagine the pain he must have felt that drove him to that decision.

Rest In Peace Robin.

1. AngeShearer profile image61
      AngeShearerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Wow Marie I loved what you had to say beautifully put. I to feel very deeply about Robin's circumstance its all to very real.

2. Venkatachari M profile image29
      Venkatachari Mposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Your reply and description of depression is great. People feel alone and let off from company. This is some kind of inferiority complex and insecure future. They might be having some ideals and dreams unaccomplished or utterly failed in life

3. RandallJonas profile image84

Sadly if the depression is hereditary, the alcoholism hereditary ... the medications and therapy are needed - even if the medications do not all work for the same people. There are many medications to try. How can he have been alone? So sad.

10. Venkatachari M profile image29
    Venkatachari Mposted 4 years ago

A very great question Amy Naylor. You are so good to be ready to speak to people to get them freed out of depression. So good a thought. My wife happened to be in depression since her childhood as she was let off by her mother and siblings treating her to be bad omen as her father died while she was still in her mother's womb. Even after her marriage with me, she was unable to recover. We got treatment but real psychiatry is only in our hands who are around the depressed person. Most neighbours also used to worsen the situation whereas there were good neighbours also. Many years took to bring her into normal life. Now she is no more because of heart problems, sugar etc. My son is also having some effect of her depression as he used to be nearer to her. But he is grown up and able to understand things and manage himself. So the essence is, people become depressed due to being neglected and left alone, feeling of insecurity, not able to control circumstances and failures in life, etc. If the companions can give the feeling of security, love and affection and guide them in solving each and every minute problems, you can make them recover from this depression.

I am very sad at the news of our great comedian actor who used to make people happy with his roles. I think there must have been nobody to share his problems and help him. Often it is simply a fraction of a minute's feeling to commit suicide. If that fraction passes, he could have escaped his death. Somebody needs to be always alert at such people.

1. Venkatachari M profile image29
      Venkatachari Mposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I would like all viewers of this question to view my son's hub on this subject based on his practical experiences in dealing depression at the link: http://powercutin.hubpages.com/hub/Mood … ustration.

11. RandallJonas profile image84
    RandallJonasposted 4 years ago

I agree and think it is kind of you to put yourself out there. Many depressed and anxious people tend to isolate themselves as we live in a culture that has not accepted the fact that mental illness is real and just like any other ailment. If a person has a broken arm we do not call them weak or if a person has diabetes. But when it is depression people who never have gone through it just do not understand how terrible it is. It is not sadness. It can be so harsh that one never leaves her bed. People stop eating, stop talking to everyone, sleep all day and it can be even worse than this. As I have read in pamphlets at hospitals about 1 of 5 people is going to suffer from a mental ilness at one time in their life. This is a prevalent occurrence. Williams obviously was trying to put up a happy face all his life and that is a same. I loved him.

1. AngeShearer profile image61
      AngeShearerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thankyou Amy and Randall for your understanding of depression.....I've spent the last 37 years living in denial of certain events that have happened during my life span which has lead me to a downward spiral.....it has only been through my self heali

One problem with anxiety and depression is we can go to the doctor many many times telling them we are sick. Say like your immune system is shot due to worry (extreme) and depression(extreme). Doctors almost never ask about your life events, stress

12. profile image61
    Michael Milecposted 4 years ago

@ J Thomp42. Yes I did. The problem isn't in my not having  idea what depression is and how it can control ones life, rather problem I see in that all discussion revolves around personal/ individual ideas, without admitting the " other side" of the truth. Meaning the spiritual reality of it as Marie craftily touched/avoiding the in depth of it by saying ..."  like they are innate or SOMETHING - but they most certainly are not." What if they are?! BTW- they are and when purposefully avoided the spiritual reality and or Universal principles released by the Creator - a discussion becomes one sided. Does anyone cares to know that " something  has been present since  birth?!" Inherent? Oh, no you can't "prove" or not even mention what the Book states plainly that the sins of the parents will be passed down to the children even to the third or fourth generations. ( is anyone taking seriously occult objects, rock records, cult ic role- playing fantasy games materials and such?!)  those would be openings for " mental" illnesses or depression as easily as a person does not get what wants, looses unfaithful " partner"  , having affair, unforgivable attitude just mentioning some.  In my over a half of century adult life I had many chance to see it all manifesting in front of my very eyes. To my question " what is depression? every single person not depressed gave the same answer' " it's a choice" while those depressed - well in lengthy explanation there no one could  answer in one word . Some of those who " been there" and now are delivered of it credited pover  of positive influence of faith and a prayer determined to live clean and healthy godly life of righteousness.
    I better stop here before being stoned for bring up the Name above all name where the answer is...

1. RandallJonas profile image84

Many I have known who reached the bottom and were clinically depressed for reasons that did not have to do with inheriting it from family sought a higher power. Many I have know who suffered mental ilness did seek a higher power. For some it worked.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)