jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

How do you handle anger?

1. Penny G profile image71
    Penny Gposted 3 years ago

How do you handle anger?

2. wordswithlove profile image79
    wordswithloveposted 3 years ago

I usually engage in some physical activity, which could be vigorously cleaning the house, or taking off on a solitary walk. It also depends on who or what triggered the anger. I may write about it, but I find that I need some composure to actually find my thoughts coherently enough to pen them. If a storm is raging in my head, I need to clear it first. And to be quite honest, sometimes, I just "lose" it.

3. Sparklea profile image74
    Sparkleaposted 3 years ago

Hi Penny:
    I do not get angry very often. 

IF and when it happens, most often I have a meltdown.  Since my husband is usually at work, the only witnesses are our four cats, and they are good about keeping a secret smile....I weep and I yell out loud...mostly to God and/or the person who upset me (THEY are not present, I just get it out of my system and 'tell them off.')  Sometimes I write a letter to God.  I pour it all out, and I tell God EXACTLY how I feel...THEN I ask God to help me keep my mouth shut!  Once that is done I calm down.  MOST of the time, the incident is taken care of and forgotten, and I am SO glad I did not retaliate.

I have learned, the hard way, that if a person has said something nasty to me, I do NOT respond.  I leave them recalling the last words they heard: theirs. 

A couple years ago I received a scathing email from a family member VERY close to me.  I did not respond...I left that person recalling the words that were typed on the computer and sent to me.  I was totally devastated, angry, and  I did the meltdown thing.  Two days later that person called and apologized.

Even though we are getting along fine today, that email shattered my Spirit so much that it is like a tsunami:  the storm is over but the damage has been done.  I have never felt the same way about that person, and I have lost total respect.
    I believe the Bible takes anger very seriously...even states not to go to bed angry.  Anger has caused hate, resentment, broken relationships, and even

This is a great question.  Because of the damage anger can do, I choose whom I associate with wisely.  Life is short and I desire  to be in the company of people who do not hurt me and cause me to feel anger.   

It's all about choice.  Blessings, Sparklea

1. Penny G profile image71
      Penny Gposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I had some very cruel email, text messages and voice mails, no facebook those other things are more than enough! I too choose to not answer, got an apology too, but the were crushing and undeserved. Spouting off only would have caused more pain