How have people reacted when you tell them you are gay/bisexual/transgender/quee

1. baybpnk profile image80
    baybpnkposted 3 years ago

How have people reacted when you tell them you are gay/bisexual/transgender/queer/ etc?

Sorry if my terminology is incorrect-I am unfamiliar with this!

2. jlpark profile image84
    jlparkposted 3 years ago

Your terminology is fine!

Most people are curious, have questions, when they find out I'm gay. Particularly now that my wife and I have a child. Being who I am, I understand that people are curious, and many don't know anyone else who is gay, or if they do, they don't know married gay people or gay people with children after being married etc. I'm usually quite happy to answer any question they may have, with the proviso that I don't answer very personal ones, and that they understand that my answer is not necessarily that of all the gay community.

However, I have been asked to move out of a flat less than a week after I told them. A flatmate at another place decided that she didn't agree with my lifestyle, but she respected me as a person, but then took an innocent, subconscious movement of my feet together (I have Restless Limb Syndrome...I didn't even know I was rubbing my feet together, curled up on the couch) as though I was coming on to her....thankfully, the others didn't see it that way, I apologised and explained, and we all (maybe she didn't!) put it down to her smoking too much weed. (wasn't even the slightest bit attracted to her...it made me laugh when I thought about the over-reaction!)

Most people have been great.  I know I'm pretty lucky in that regard.  Not everyone has as smooth a coming out as I have had!

working