jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Are you for or against legal euthanasia (medically assisted suicide)?

1. emilyzeinert profile image60
    emilyzeinertposted 3 years ago

Are you for or against legal euthanasia (medically assisted suicide)?

What are your thoughts? Why do you or don't you agree?

2. junkseller profile image85
    junksellerposted 3 years ago

Let dead things die. There is nothing noble or moral in suffering. But it isn't a simple issue. I don't think we want to make it too easy and we would also have to guard against it being turned into a business for fear of it becoming exploitative, but ultimately, a family and their medical providers should be able to make such a decision in private without intrusion from the state or nosy neighbors.

In truth, I think this decision is quietly made already more often then we would think.

Of course if we had an actual healthcare system and didn't spend an enormous part of our lives polluting our bodies, maybe this wouldn't really be an issue.

3. Billie Kelpin profile image88
    Billie Kelpinposted 3 years ago

The closer I get to 70, the more I support legal euthanasia.  The more I watch friends and family in their final days, the more I support legal euthanasia.  I had to have my dog put down once.  I bought her a hamburger which she loved.  The vet came to the car because she was afraid of the vet's office.  I held her in my arms and in a second it was over.  I thanked the vet for being so kind to her.  He said, "We should be so kind to people." 

I think a lot of people would like the choice.  When it came down to it, we might just not want to take that choice at the very end, but we'd feel better knowing it was there if we needed it.

4. emilyzeinert profile image60
    emilyzeinertposted 3 years ago

The way I see it is: we didn't ask for this life. Why are we forced to live it?
    My best friend is terminally ill. She has a rare, genetic degenerative disease. She deserves dignity in her death, not to be concerned about the effectiveness of her chosen method to die when she is too degenerated to have a decent quality of life.

5. Aime F profile image85
    Aime Fposted 3 years ago

I am for it granted appropriate medical and psychological screening is performed. I think someone who is terminally ill deserves to make their death as peaceful and painless as possible. When you know it's imminent, I don't know why anyone should be forced to die painfully and in an unknown situation when they could pass peacefully, in an environment of their choosing, surrounded by loved ones.

1. peeples profile image94
      peeplesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Well said!

6. jjackson786 profile image96
    jjackson786posted 3 years ago

I believe that it's the individual choice. We are so afraid of death and of the unknown, but if someone wants to avoid the pain and suffering that comes with terminal illness, then why not let them do so through death? It is their journey; let them reach the end on their own terms.

working