jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

Have you ever been afraid of someone with a disability?

1. WheelerWife profile image90
    WheelerWifeposted 3 years ago

Have you ever been afraid of someone with a disability?

What were some things that made you feel apprehensive? Did you find that your fears were unfounded?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12220227_f260.jpg

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

Only as a child. As an adult I became more empathetic.

WheelerWifeposted 3 years agoin reply to this

dashingscorpio - thanks for commenting! I know that labeling this as a 'fear' is something a lot of people don't want to admit; unfortunately avoidance of people with disabilities happens far too often. Conversations like this help dispel stereotypes

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
      dashingscorpioposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Some people strive to avoid being around anything or anyone that makes (them) feel uncomfortable. Since we can't change other people we have to learn to ignore them. Thankfully there are over 7 Billion people on the planet!

3. TaraLRichardson profile image76
    TaraLRichardsonposted 3 years ago

As a person with a disability that is a little offensive to think people are afraid of us. We are just like everybody else and then something tragic happened it could happen to anybody at any time. Don't worry normal people we don't bite. smile

WheelerWifeposted 3 years agoin reply to this

TaraLRichardson - It IS offensive, but is a common anxiety a lot of people who do not have a lot of experience have about people with disabilities. I can't count the # of times people were afraid to approach or avoided me because I use a wheelchair.

2. TaraLRichardson profile image76
      TaraLRichardsonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

It irritates me the most when children want to come up and say hi and ask questions which is perfectly fine but the parents drag him away without an explanation like I'm a pariah

3. dashingscorpio profile image87
      dashingscorpioposted 3 years agoin reply to this

TaraLRichardson, I think some parents are afraid of what their children might ask. They don't want their kids to embarrass them so they drag them off. Others may think their children asking questions is rude. They think they're (sparing you).

4. TaraLRichardson profile image76
      TaraLRichardsonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I'm far more bothered by adults staring and pointing mostly when I used to walk and I use that word loosely. I don't miss it

4. joancol profile image60
    joancolposted 3 years ago

I never been afraid of those with a disability. On the contrary, they open my eyes that I've been blessed so I give thanks to God.

working