jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

I saw a poor (unfortunate) guy today in a wheelchair....

1. dabeaner profile image57
    dabeanerposted 8 years ago

I saw a poor (unfortunate) guy today in a wheelchair....

He was wearing a cap that said "I [heart/love] Jesus.  My question is:  Does Jesus love him?

All you religious wackos, go ahead and amuse me with your tortured rationales as to why your "god" or his "son" whatever, allow suffering.

2. Lisa HW profile image74
    Lisa HWposted 8 years ago

I don't happen to be a "religious wacko", so I'm not interested in trying to figure out why people are allowed to suffer.  What I do know, however, (even as a non-religious wacko") is that just because this individual is in a wheelchair it doesn't necessarily mean he's "poor", "unfortunate", or suffering.  Anyone who has known a few people who use wheelchairs (or has ever used on himself) knows that.

As far as the Jesus hat/statement goes, who is anyone to question this individual's faith.  If he "loves Jesus" it's his business.  If he happens to be someone who is suffering, chances are his faith helps him deal with it.

In spite of the fact that I'm not a religious person, I once tried to come up with the answer to the question about suffering/illness in response to a "request for a Hub".  Since I'm assuming we're not supposed to put links to our own Hubs here, I'll just include the title, "Why Does God Create Some Children Who Are Able and Healthy and Others Who Are Disabled or Ill?"  I don't presume to have the answers that nobody on Earth has ever, or will ever, have; but there's a lot of possibilities with regard to that "ever-popular" question about suffering.

3. profile image44
    Jubaelposted 8 years ago

Damn, Lisa. you're the bomb. Good answer.

4. sasanqua profile image82
    sasanquaposted 8 years ago

If Jesus is real, then yes, he does love him, according to Christian beliefs. Also, he's not an unfortunate guy, he's just a guy. Just because someone has a disability doesn't mean they lead lives full of sadness and suffering. There are some people with disabilities who are happier than some people without disabilities. You mustn't assume that having a disability equals having a terrible life. Everyone has times of suffering in their lives, not only those people with disabilities.

5. Austinstar profile image87
    Austinstarposted 7 years ago

If there is a Jesus, and he is true to the characterization from the Bible, then yes, Jesus does love him.
    Some deities are sadists, I presume.

6. terced ojos profile image65
    terced ojosposted 7 years ago

Dabeaner did you ask him how he came to be in the wheelchair?

It's entirely possible that whatever accident caused him to be in the wheelchair may have been because of something (unfortunate) he did.

His shirt that says "I (heart/love)Jesus may be in reference to the fact that the man is glad to be alive and he is thanking Jesus for possibly sparing his life even though he can no longer walk.

You should've asked that man why he loves Jesus. Give that man an opportunity to qualify from his mouth why he loves God.

I encourage you next time to to just ask Dabeaner.  People with disabilities are generally okay if you ask them what happened.  They'd much prefer you ask than you act as if they are invisible or as if their disability doesn't exist at all.

So ask Dabeaner...

7. wheelinallover profile image78
    wheelinalloverposted 7 years ago

Well it might have been me, been wheelchair bound for 20 years, I am not a religious fanatic but I do love Jesus.

Am I unfortunate? I was just unlucky enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time twice.
    One hit from another human being with his fist and my subsequent hitting the floor did damage to my brain and inner ear.
    Later after being in the wheelchair I was hit again this time by a truck. Lost the total use of my body from the waist down and my memory for 9 years.

I am still alive so actually consider myself lucky. As for allowing suffering, I have had my fill of that, but not because of the wheelchair. I lost the 5 closest people to me within a two year period.

This question I asked myself many times why didn't God take me and let them live. I still want to know why I outlived my son. No parent I know wants to live through that although many do.

Does Jesus love me, why would he not, he came to save the sinners and helped many a disabled person.
    In 2005 I had a healing by members of a christian fellowship, I am still in a wheelchair but my memory was returned to me. Is it not Christs love that gave me what I needed most.

working