Have you ever had a DEXA bone density scan?

1. WheelerWife profile image91
    WheelerWifeposted 2 years ago

Have you ever had a DEXA bone density scan?

Are you concerned about your bone health? Have you ever had a DEXA scan to measure your bone density? Tell us about it!

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12279440_f260.jpg

2. teamrn profile image69
    teamrnposted 2 years ago

I'm concerned about my bone and joint health for a lot of reasons. Every year I have my DEXA scan. The test s COMPLETELY without discomfort.  I was asked to like on my back on an x-ray table. One leg (I think it was my right) was measured for it's length (I think!) and placed gently in a cradle to hold it COMPLETELY still.

Then a machine went over the lower half of my body scanning it to get the densest and lease dense bones in the lower body. If I'm not mistaken, it was found that the hips have the greatest bone density score. In maybe 1-2 weeks you get the results, which usually are normal, show osteopenia (mild thinning of bones usually due to aging) or osteoporosis and a  "T-score" is generated.

Your doctor will discuss with you any findings to be concerned about. However, if your doc doesn't call you, call him/her to discuss results.  Annie

1. WheelerWife profile image91
      WheelerWifeposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the comment, Annie! Great to hear you're so proactive - I just had my 2nd DEXA scan as well. Dr. recommended getting one every 2 years to continue to monitor.

working