Do the effects of PTSD ever go away?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)
  1. peeples profile image95
    peeplesposted 4 years ago

Do the effects of PTSD ever go away?

The nightmares, depression, numbness, do these feelings ever completely go away?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

Peeples..... I am no expert by far on this subject. I can only speak for myself who has PTSD. It has been many, many years since the events occurred that caused me to have this dreaded disease. I can say that the symptoms never seem to go away. Especially if a traumatic situation occurs in your life to really set it back off. This has happened to me several times. Then the disease is in full force again. I am currently on medication to try and control my PTSD. I would not wish this on anyone. Especially the nightmares and waking up in cold sweats. Horrible!!

Saying that.. I hope and pray that there will be a day when this disease will go away.

peeplesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you JT. Medications never worked. I tried them for years and they seemed to make me worse even after cycling through multiple medications. I'm sorry you go through it. I wouldn't wish my dreams on anyone.

3. fpherj48 profile image77
    fpherj48posted 4 years ago

peeples.....I would love to bring positive news.  However, PTSD occurs as a result of traumatic "negative" events in one's life, whether isolated or over a lengthy period.
    While there are varying degrees of PTSD and each individual & circumstance are very unique.....the "effects" (PTSD) caused by this Trauma are lasting.  I avoided using the term "lifelong," for the sole purpose of conceding to those who believe "ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE."...a matter of opinion in any given subject.
    Thus far, in 100% of the in-depth studies done with victims of PTSD, there has been no admission of being totally and miraculously cured.
    The fact is, precisely as JT has described, even when many years have passed and considerable progress has been made by some patients, PTSD can and often does raise it's ugly head and wreak havoc in their life, during times of stress and/or mental pressures.  Actually, residual trauma, which remains within the psyche like cement....does not necessarily require current stressful incidents to "act up."   Many patients have reported onset of severe depression and anxiety that will take hold "out of the blue." 
    Perhaps the good news in terms of PTSD is the promise of on-going treatment and self-awareness & self-care, which help victims make great strides in controlling and/or minimizing the worst of this malady. Through therapy, often with medication for symptoms, educating one's self and maintaining strong overall good health, PTSD has less control, while the victim gains more. The understanding and patience of loved ones is also an enormous plus.
    By the very nature of PTSD, peeples......"completely going away," is highly unlikely. Courage, strength, determination and strong self-confidence are your best friends.  It's obvious that you have all of these.   Peace, Paula

Thank you Paula. It is exhausting some days after a bad night. It takes days to clear thoughts caused by the dreams. Thankfully most days are fine. It seems to be uncontrollable as in times and triggers. Thanks again!

4. profile image0
    Daveadamposted 4 years ago

Hopefully peeples i have some good news for you, & without giving you my life story I'll just give a brief description of what helped me..I was in a very bad way emotionally & mentally around a year ago, & i stumbled onto a guy on the internet called Eckhart Tolle..I followed his advice regarding emotions & feelings control practice, & also mindfulness distraction practice which helps remove negative thinking once & for all..It did take me a lot of practice & at least 6/7 months time, but i did start to feel the benefits after only a few weeks of practice..Then the practice starts to get really interesting, as it helps you to understand how your mind works..As you start to understand how your mind works you will start to understand how other peoples minds work, & by that point your'll be hooked like i was..This training does work, but it's essential to realise something before you start..No one can explain to you how your going to change your thinking around, & how to remove your negative thoughts not even Eckhart could tell you that..But through the training & over the months it will help "you" find the way to do it yourself, & then it will be a permanent realisation that you won't forget..Try it but see it like learning how to ride a bike so you train when ever you can without going over the top with it, & then you start to get better & better at it until your there..Honestly i know what it feels like to be depressed for many years, & so i wouldn't waste your time or energy..The great thing about the training is it means you do what ever you already do you just do it slightly different & it's a combination of a lot of simple things & time, but months not years. :-)

1. profile image0
      Daveadamposted 4 years agoin reply to this
    2. peeples profile image95

I'm not sure something like that can help my dreams. I don't think about this stuff prior to going to bed or even necessarily in the same day. I will at least finish the video (which I started just to make sure it wasn't spam) and keep an open mind.

3. profile image0
      Daveadamposted 4 years agoin reply to this

You did mention it can take days to clear the thoughts, this with a lot of practice over a few months will clear the thoughts for you..It's hard to understand unless you practice, but with practice you can remove any negative thoughts instantly.

5. Crissylite profile image75
    Crissyliteposted 4 years ago

Hi peeples. I hope this gives you a bit of encouragement. (I am one of those people who believes that all things are possible with God).

I've worked with young people experiencing PTSD symptoms. I will say that I have seen cases in which tremendous progress was made. So it is possible. It may take time and good therapy.

http://psychcentral.com/lib/treatment-of-ptsd/000665

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)