What Special Challenges related to Self Defense do Elderly, Blind, and Deaf peop

1. kbdressman profile image94
    kbdressmanposted 2 years ago

What Special Challenges related to Self Defense do Elderly, Blind, and Deaf people face?

Patty Inglish, MS gave me the great suggestion to write hubs that suggest solutions to self defense challenges that Elderly, Blind and Deaf people face.  Very little has been written for these groups and I'd like to help change that.  However, in order to do that, I need to know what special concerns these groups have in order to modify traditional self defense moves and principles to fit their needs.  What needs would these communities like addressed?

2. RTalloni profile image88
    RTalloniposted 2 years ago

Other than the obvious related to their circumstances, it seems that opportunities to build strength reserves for emergency situations could be a foundational challenge that they face.

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image97
    DzyMsLizzyposted 2 years ago

As an "elderly" person myself, I am finding that taking self-defense classes is most helpful, and I highly recommend it.  Take a real class from a certified school, whether it is karate, jiu-jitsu, or any other form of martial arts, and not a 'quickie' course from the recreation department in your town. 

A lot of self defense is actually centered on awareness of one's surroundings, carrying yourself confidently, and looking people in the eye.  A potential attacker wants to remain anonymous and retain the advantage of surprise. 

Other aspects of self-defense include the use of surprise, yourself if you are attacked.  Most attackers expect you to pull away from them, and are prepared for this.  Instead, many self-defense moves have you move toward the attacker, with a move intended to put them off balance, both physically and psychologically, giving you the advantage.

Prior to my knee replacement surgery, I often used a cane; I was taught several ways for this to turn into a weapon of self defense.

I cannot offer insight for the blind and deaf, but those are my experiences and advice for the elderly.  Best wishes on your article.