jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (14 posts)

How do you get relaxed?

1. lisasuniquevoice profile image75
    lisasuniquevoiceposted 2 years ago

How do you get relaxed?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8271337_f260.jpg

2. Payal N Naik profile image75
    Payal N Naikposted 2 years ago

Whenever I get time, I try to relax by sitting near the window of my house with a mug of coffee and my favorite book. This gives me mental piece and a soothing effect.

1. Payal N Naik profile image75
      Payal N Naikposted 2 years agoin reply to this

peace* sorry for the typo!

2. lisasuniquevoice profile image75
      lisasuniquevoiceposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Payal N Naik,
      I love hanging out near windows when it cold outside and the sun is shining. Reading a book there is a relaxing thing to do!
      Thanks,
      Lisa

3. Payal N Naik profile image75
      Payal N Naikposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Hanging out near the window sounds great too. Thank you:)

3. Jlbowden profile image91
    Jlbowdenposted 2 years ago

I like to get relaxed by drinking a glass of Pinot Grigio wine in the early evening if I'm a bit wound up.  However I find that by writing in my journal, at least once every morning.  Or writing anything in general.  Tends to be a great form of meditation for me. 

And helps me further to relax.  Also when the weather is not too humid outside.  I find that using a push mower and mowing about a half acre of lawn at a fairly quick pace.  Is a form of exercise that also tends to relax me, when I have no other option.  And I do not like to resort to Benzodiazepines like Alprazolam, because they are not only habit forming, but studies now show that this class of drugs can lead to dementia. Among other health related issues.

James,
      I agree, a nice glass of wine will do the trick most of the time, and I know that those downer drugs you mentioned have no place in real relaxation.
      Thanks,
      Lisa

4. connorj profile image75
    connorjposted 2 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12538740_f260.jpg

Hi Lisa,
    Well perhaps this will be considered atypical; first let's look at the definition of relax. It is an adjective that means free from tension and anxiety; at ease. I quote, "we were having a great time and feeling very relaxed."
    Thus the way I reduce, well really anililate any stress; that is, become free of tension and anxiety is to lace up my Bauer Supremes, suit up with all of my protective wear, grab my Warrior stick and literally escape to the ice with enough momentum to back check (well sometimes). One could claim ice hockey enables me to be at ease, almost floating and completely free of stressful thoughts.
    I only play hockey once or twice a week; thus, on occasion if my hockey is 4 or 5 days into the future I escape to my reclusive back yard patio with some caffeine and I incept into a great book. That is a great book like Henry David Thoreau's Walden or a more current book like, Frames of Learning: Revelation Theory of Learning or perhaps Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers.

John,
      It seems to always comes back to being physical. The more we workout our bodies the more we'll be able to recognize a state of true relaxation. It's like we need one to have the other.
      Thanks again,
      Lisa

2. connorj profile image75
      connorjposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Indeed, Lisa! You have brought up an excellent hypothesis! Perhaps like our ancestors whom were so mobile (way back when they were hunters & gathers) we perhaps are truly at rest. In other words our relaxed state is aerobically based?

5. Danny Cabaniss profile image76
    Danny Cabanissposted 2 years ago

I relax in my hammock, or in my kayak, or on my unicycle, or by playing disc golf.  So, I relax my doing things I enjoy, and It often involves exercise, or rest.  I also relax by spending time with my family.  I also relax by reading the sports page of the daily newspaper.  I also relax by watching sports or other television.

6. Compliancemommy profile image60
    Compliancemommyposted 2 years ago

Once a week I have a hot bath with a fancy bath bomb (the fancier the better) indulge in a nice chilled glass of wine, with some horrible but entertaining reality show or documentary while soaking in the tub for about an hour.

7. Patrina Breau profile image60
    Patrina Breauposted 2 years ago

By drinking lots of water smile That's the best and healthiest way to feel relaxed.

8. FatFreddysCat profile image100
    FatFreddysCatposted 2 years ago

Beer.
    ...but it won't let me post a one word answer, so let me rephrase that:
    LOTS of beer.

working