jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

What is a good type of tea to help you relax?

1. Music-and-Art-45 profile image94
    Music-and-Art-45posted 5 years ago

What is a good type of tea to help you relax?

2. Novel Treasure profile image88
    Novel Treasureposted 5 years ago

I like Kenyan Chai tea. My sister in law turned me on to it and its just kind of soothing and homey to me.

3. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Sleepytime tea. It's one of my favorites. One sip and there is relaxation.

4. chef-de-jour profile image98
    chef-de-jourposted 5 years ago

There are many herb teas that can help you relax - mint, camomile, sage and other cooler herbal teas such as green tea and jasmine tea. If you can create the right atmosphere too this enhances the feel good factor. A little honey in the tea may be good.

5. Lee Tea profile image92
    Lee Teaposted 5 years ago

Depends on how relaxed you want to get smile

Chamomile tea is known for is calming effects on the nerves and quieting effects on the chatty mind.  Lavender is well-renowned for relaxation of body and mind.  These two, alone or together, make a pleasant herbal tea that can help calm and relax without lulling you to sleep. 

Hops (like in beer) is also known for it's calming, relaxing properties. I personally find hops to dull the senses as well, making it one of my least favorite herbs to sip if I'm planning on staying awake.

Although fragrant and herbal, chai teas usually use an actual tea base, meaning the tea contains caffeine - not the best for unwinding.  In fact, all true teas - black, green, white, red, pu-erh, etc - will contain caffeine. 

Celestial Seasoning's standard Sleepy Time tea has chamomile in it, but then throws in spearmint and lemongrass - a diuretic and a stimulant!  So I wouldn't turn to it unless your idea of relaxing is dancing while holding your pee. (This explains their need to make a "Sleepy Time Extra" blend, the same misguided herbal concoction with sedative valerian root added in).

Speaking of valerian, this is the tea for relaxing you right to sleep, particularly valerian root tea.  As a tea blender, I use valerian root with st. john's wort (a cheerful herb) and chamomile for the ultimate tea-k-o.

Another mother of a relaxing herb is kava-kava, known for it's superior anti-anxiety effects.  It can be steeped, but I prefer to dissolve it's powder form in warm chocolate milk and down it like a shot in the evening (honestly, I don't know if anyone else in the whole world uses it this way.)

Looking for more? Look into kratom tea.

Hope this helps! Happy sipping smile
    Lee @ Lee's Teas

6. Trish303 profile image74
    Trish303posted 5 years ago

I drink a tea called sleepy time witch is a camomile tea then I add mint to it. works everytime

7. K-112 profile image60
    K-112posted 5 years ago

I like to drink Twinings Peppermint tea or Twinings Lady Earl GreyTea to help me unwind before bedtime sometimes.

8. Sushma Webber profile image86
    Sushma Webberposted 5 years ago

My vote is for chamomile tea. It has a very calming effect.

9. Sn Hang profile image56
    Sn Hangposted 5 years ago

I often drink green tea. just green tea and I think it helps.
    http://restaau.co.uk/ for UK restaurants searching!

10. Lisa Jane39 profile image85
    Lisa Jane39posted 4 months ago

My two favorite teas that help me relax is chamomile and lavender. I like to drink a cup of chamomile tea before I go to bed to help me sleep better. And lavender tea is just calming and one of my favorite teas.