jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Is there such a thing as "healthy alcohol consumption?"

1. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 2 years ago

Is there such a thing as "healthy alcohol consumption?"

Is drinking alcohol ever a healthy solution or is that an excuse to drink?

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image97
    Phyllis Doyleposted 2 years ago

If you are referring to a condition of the physical body - no, alcohol is not healthy for the body. If you mean healthy as a strong or large amount, yes, that could be considered a "healthy portion". LOL

1. Stacie L profile image89
      Stacie Lposted 2 years agoin reply to this

have you seen the subheading on hp on the top of this page? It made me laugh as well..;-)

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image97
      Phyllis Doyleposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Isn't that  HP phrase an oxymoron?

3. fpherj48 profile image75
    fpherj48posted 2 years ago

I think there are several answers to this question.  "Consuming" alcohol on a regular basis or in large amounts is, per common sense, both unhealthy and extremely irresponsible.  There are some alcohols that have been touted as acceptable in medicinal purposes, such as very small sips of blackberrry brandy for constipation, sips of creme de menthe for upset tummies and perhaps adding some brandy to a hot tea for calming anxiety.....(just to mention a few remedies)
    However, aside from this, if you want a personal opinion, consumption of alcohol as a daily ritual or qualifying one as alcoholic is anything but healthy or beneficial to anyone.
    Individuals who drink heavily and/or often DO NOT NEED AN EXCUSE....they simply indulge because they want to.  For instance, I've as yet to encounter a bona-fide "drinker" who would claim they do it for their health!!   The sheer nonsense of that statement is laughable.

working